Eclipse 1 Hood/Filter System --- Like or No?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eeyipes

AC Members
Jun 11, 2008
Washington IA
I have a 10 gallon I plan on setting up as a low light planted betta tank. I'm trying to decide between ..

The Eclipse hood/filter system : http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3867
Anyone have this? Do you like it? Is it noisy? Does it leak? Is it durable? Is it ugly?

Or doing a Fluval U1 internal filter, with a glass canopy, and maybe an LED light strip like this one ..
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11000158&lmdn=LIghting+&+Hoods

Also, any ideas on a few tankmates for a betta? Thanks!

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Any Eclipse Hood Filter systems suck. IME.

eeyipes

AC Members
Jun 11, 2008
Washington IA
Glad to hear it's quiet at least. I've got the 10 g filled and waiting for the sand dust to settle, with some anubias and baby javas from the bigger tanked popped in.

One thing I'm not sure of though... how do you use a heater with it? I don't see an opening in the hood. Also, is the water flow adjustable? Would it be too strong for a betta?

I have a few harlequin ras. in the 36 that I'm thinking of moving into the 10g with a betta -- a good pairing or no?

Last edited:

eeyipes

AC Members
Jun 11, 2008
Washington IA
Any Eclipse Hood Filter systems suck. IME.
I've been reading some reviews and people seem to either love it or hate it. What sucks the most about it?

If I do the Fluval internal, then I'd want a glass canopy and light strip ... can LED's support a few low light plants? I hate HOB's, and I don't have a place to hide a canister where this little tank is going.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
From what I hear, it depends on the LEDs. Not all have the right spectral output...but I can't comment on the specific fixture in question.

To be honest, you could very cheaply get a 10g setup with the incandescent hood and just run spiral CFLs instead. I've done that and was able to grow quite a bit of low to even more medium light plants.

As for stocking, I really think the harlies should have more room than a 10g. They are on the smaller size but pretty active and would do better in the space they are already in. Depending on your betta you might be able to do smaller schooling fish like CPDs or any of the microrasboras, for example.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
That marineland led is more for displaying fish only not plants, marineland double bright fixture will support plants but alot more money. For 10g I'd do as suggested above and do CFL's.

Also some of those internal filters and betta's dont mix well i've heard of fins getting caught in them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store