Getting these power heads in working order.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Recently I received 4 power heads in a trade. After getting a little bit of advice about them I've decided to use them in my FW tanks and buy new for my 125g salt (well a couple may still make it in there or I'll just mount them in a bucket for mixing salt.

I'll link the other thread, list the models, some pics, and my questions about them.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forum...-a-trade-Are-they-good-enough&highlight=Power

I have:
2 penguin 1140's (rated 330 GPH)
A penguin 550 (145 GPH)
And a penguin 660 (170 GPH)

imag0085zx.jpg

imag0086on.jpg

imag0087h.jpg

Ok first off I haven't even tested them. I'm gonna clean them up and do all that tonight. But here's what I'm wondering; in the first two pics you see all of them have no sponge over the intake. I wonder what I can use locally and if I even need one right away or if I can just set them up. I'd prefer to use like those black large pore sponges but I don't really know specifically what I'm looking for if anyone would get specific about that and what it's called and if I need to be at a fish store or a hardware store for it. Or even alternatives if I can't find it because I would like to avoid ordering online for these. In the third pic you see one of the powerheads doesn't have an intake. The intake sitting close is for a filter. It does fit but is that usable? Can I use it the way it is or do I need to cut it down and cut holes out of it?

Also I was hoping for some help with placement. I have no idea if there is some special thing I should do. I have 2 55g tanks that I want to add them to. Where do you recommend placement? Should I just use 1 or 2 in each? If you would like pics of the tank to facilitate answering these I am more than happy to oblige.

imag0085zx.jpg imag0086on.jpg imag0087h.jpg

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
If you see those black sponges at a pet/fish store with the hole in the middle, every single one I've come across fits a standard powerhead like it looks like you have...or you can always "DIY" one on, even those not specifically sold for aquariums. If you ask for a "prefilter" hopefully someone at the LFS will know what you mean.

I like using them myself, especially with smaller fish or fry, but make sure you squeeze them out every once and a while otherwise they get clogged.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
If you want, I have an extra intake like this one.
imag0086on.jpg
You can just pay for the shipping and have it for free :) Since it will be a first class package, should only be between 1 and 2 dollars.

You might be able to fashion that AC intake into something usable, but that would look so awful, why would you....lol

imag0086on.jpg

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Haha agreed platy. Yeah I would love that. I'll get a hold of ya and we can set it up.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using the Monster Aquaria Network app

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
You can also use sponge hair curlers from the dollar store, good for all kinds of things. I can cycle a tank with one after a while. ;)

rollers.jpg

rollers.jpg

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Hair curlers! I've used paint rollers, lol. For exactly that same purpose...to make a buffer between the water and the filter, when there is too much splash. Worked great in my bedroom tank until I switched over to all Aqueon Quiet Flows (I'm a big fan of those filters, although they seem unpopular...I've grown to like them way more than ACs)

We'll be chatting about that intake. Glad to know that I collect these parts for a reason! lol

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
ditto...thats what I use on most of my filters...most of my powerheads are already 660r's and came with that one. On several of my filters I had to use a tie-wrap/cable tie to close the bottom of the sponge....to prevent sucking up schmutz or fish

Looks like those are all penguin powerheds. You can get the entire reverse flow kit which comes with the long tapered intake, sponge and UGF adapter for ~ $8

http://www.thatpetplace.com/penguin-reverse-flow-kit

but..thats $32 and shipping. I'd get the filters only and try 'em first. They are $3.49 here if you buy 3 or more:

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquarium-Power-Head-Accessories/I/Reverse-Flo-Kit.aspx

As far as cleaning them, if they are really crudded up you could put them all in a container/bucket with some dilute acid (vinegar or dilute HCL or Lime-away) and run them overnight or a couple days - whatever it takes.

Last edited:

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Wow, those model numbers seem to mean nothing at all to me. I think that powerheads should be named after their gph rating. But I dont use them so it may seem like a stupid idea to other people.

If you have a cheap filter or will be using that power head as a back up I would just silicoln that ac end on or the end being offered to you. I did that to my tetra pf10, since it will be for a qt/hospital tank, I dont really care what that looks like.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store