breeding conditioning foods??????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lakota

AC Members
Jan 5, 2004
Maryland, USA
Hi again

Got a question. What is the best food to condition your bettas with. I have freeze dried bloodworms and those little floating pellets. The pet stores around here are kinda limited in what they have. either brine shrimp(that die the next day) or black worms, which i heard can harm my bettas with ich or something. Will regular earthworms work if i cut them up into little bite sized pieces. Cause i just bought this cute little white female with some red on her fins and she just wont eat anything i give her. Any help would be appreciated.

oh yeah, i had my first breeding, only problem is they only had about ten to twenty eggs. Needless to say, all babies are gone.
:sad

Lakota

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I think most people prefer using live foods to condition fish. There are a couple of options--some easier than others.
Live Brine--you can purchase the eggs and raise them yourself--the larger ones require feeding to maintain good nutrition, and this means having a couple tanks of them at different stages. Not difficult, just takes up space and requires maintenance to keep the tanks from stinking and killing off the shrimp. The newly hatched ones are great for fry, but too small for most adult fish.

Live blood worms can be a vector for disease, but you can control that. Purchase them, and immediately rinse them with clean water and put them in a container in the fridge. Change out half the water every day, and they should last for quite a while. The worms don't actually harbor diseases of fish, it's usually transported in the water with them, so you can control this.

Vinegar eels are another option. These are easy to rear--you just need an apple and some vinegar/water in a jar. A culture is usually pretty cheap, or you can start your own with unpastuerized apple cider. The eels are very small, but will stay alive in your tank for a while, and my male betta loved them.

Microworms are also easy to culture. Starter kits are cheap, and though need a bit more work to keep than the vinegar eels, they are a fantastic food source for small fry.

Earthworms are okay, but you may have problems chopping them into small enough pieces for a betta to eat. Give it a try--I buy worms from a bait shop for many of my fish.

Have you tried frozen foods? They are often more acceptable to fish than the dried forms.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
not a beatta expert, but thought I'd throw in a suggestion. If earthworms work, but are too big go to a local bait store and get redworms typically used for panfish bait. they are much smaller and thinner.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store