First power outage since starting this hobby...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
And I'm completely unprepared. See we don't get power outages here that last longer than a half hour and today guess what happens. Almost on hour 3 and instead of having battery operated air pumps I have to create surface agitation by repeatedly filling a dumping a pitcher over the water lol. Also worried about temp.

Just not a good day and nothing I would have expected. I wouldn't even have the money to go buy 5 batt op pumps. All good though I'm just worried about the main angel tank. That tank has all the most fragile fish in the house.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using the Monster Aquaria Network app

Fish-Addict

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Buckinghamshire, England
Real Name
Sam
I'm sorry to hear that. We are lucky here that we never get power cuts, and in fact I can't remember the last time we did! Hope all the fish make it. Can't you turn up the heating so that the tanks slowly get up to the same temp, or do you not have central heating?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
I do have central heat and air but I know the central air runs on electricity and I just figured the heater did too lol. I could try that but wow would it be hot in there! I'll start by adding water a little above temp on my next water change (probably in an hour)

Yeah it's weird. We get outages here but never ever for more than about a half hour and I can't believe we have been hit so hard. I guess there's 14,000 people without power in the path of the storm from last night. It didn't seem that bad but I guess the wind did a number on us

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
I probably wouldn't do it but I had this half day dream that my angels were lost in this and it made me wanna Craigslist everything! I love the hobby too much I think but after all the money and especially time I poured into my fish (and the bond I've formed with them) I would be devastated if this went south. I can love with any other fish being gone in this but my angels have a personality. They're like dogs to me. Very interactive. I guess I hear cichlids are like that

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
We were without power for 6 hours last night from the same srtorm, lost a fish unfortunatly :(

Sent from my Droid using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
We were without power for 6 hours last night from the same srtorm, lost a fish unfortunatly :(

Sent from my Droid using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I'm sorry to hear that bally. I know you've had some heavy losses in the past and had to start all over again. I'm just glad it was just the one

So the power came back on about an hour ago. Almost exactly 13 hours without power. My house got up to the mid 80's which is like hell to me because I prefer high 60's lol (I literally slept most of the day. Just laid there sweating and trying to sleep. The heat really puts me out). No losses and no fish acting weird as of yet. I'm keeping an eye on levels for a mini spike.

Here's what I did. There was no way I was going to tend the tank every second but every so often I got up, went to my canisters, and manually ran them. I used the primer pump to manually filter water. I waited long enough for air to get into the line so I was handling oxygenation too. It seems to have worked fine.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Our power went out about 4 yesterday and came back on around 8 this morning. Didn't touch the tanks and didn't lose anything, I was about to start the siphoning buckets and dumping them back in when the power came back on. Crazy Ohio and Midwest weather lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Lol yeah that time sounds like it the first of the 2 heading that way. That one knocked part of my town out but not me and then the one last night which I heard wasn't as bad (storms don't wake me up) KO'd me and about 14,000 more that I know of.

It feels like the weather gets worse/weirder every year. Everything we have is dried up and then two crappy storms run through. I miss the days when a nice sprinkle would come through.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store