Yet another example of what not to do.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
[video]http://bcove.me/39yhvit6[/video]

A few pacus were found in an Illinois lake by fisherman. They were first thought to be pirahnas, and the local tourists were afraid to visit the lake. Even though it has been announced that the fish have been identified as Pacus, there are still tourists that are wary to jump back into the water. Presumably, the fish that was captured in Lake Lou Yaeger had been someone's aquarium pet before being illegally dumped into the lake.

Normally I don't jump on this pedestal, but I think this is another reason why we really need to be careful when it comes to researching fish before purchasing. Though it is presumed that the Pacu won't be able to survive the winters in Illinois, there is always still that possibility, and it's another strike against aquarists to the general public. I know that there is no way to keep everyone from dumping their fish, but by giving the always wise advise to "Research before purchase" to those new to the hobby is the best way to avoid it.
Not only do I think that this is the aquarist's fault, but I also blame the big chain pet stores that sell these fish that grow to large proportions(Common Plecos, Bala sharks, pacus, frontosa off the top of my head) to unsuspecting novice aquarium keepers. I think that all of the fish listed above should have to be ordered from an actual fish store, or breeders(though it might make it a bit more expensive). I can't tell you how many times I have been at my local petsmart and heard a small child getting their first 10g aquarium and their parents say "Let's get a sucker fish". I cringe every time, both for the fish, and the parents.

otmmy

AC Members
May 9, 2012
Lethbridge,AB,Canada
Real Name
Tommy
Something happen like this where I live. There is a ake in the city and some guy caught a largemouth bass,Then my dad also found a big arowana washed up on the shore.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
People need to do their research, if your tank doesn't work for that fish, try to find a suitable home.

LOL, they are afraid of Pacus...even when they knew that they were Pacus they were afraid still

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ssuchem13

Tower Tank Master
Oct 4, 2011
chicagoland
Real Name
Eric
i honestly have to say its full blame on the people who buy the fish, i know most people who work at my petsmart and they always tell people how big the fish grow and when they are not suitable for small tanks. i mean just because stores sell bleach and ammonia doesnt mean its there fault if someone kills themselves by mixing the two. it is not the big box stores job to monitor what people do with their purchase. it is personal responsibility of the person who dumped the fish !!!! end of story in my book. individuals need to be accountable for their action, society is not a baby sitter and neither are stores.

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
i honestly have to say its full blame on the people who buy the fish, i know most people who work at my petsmart and they always tell people how big the fish grow and when they are not suitable for small tanks. i mean just because stores sell bleach and ammonia doesnt mean its there fault if someone kills themselves by mixing the two. it is not the big box stores job to monitor what people do with their purchase. it is personal responsibility of the person who dumped the fish !!!! end of story in my book. individuals need to be accountable for their action, society is not a baby sitter and neither are stores.
I'm not saying the box stores are more responsible, but I was just saying that they provide the temptation by selling the fish, and I have seen some of their labels before with totally wrong information(saying a fish will grow to a max of 6 inches when they grow to 20 inches in real life for example.) I just hope that the fish dumping problem does not ruin the hobby for everyone else.

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
Something happen like this where I live. There is a ake in the city and some guy caught a largemouth bass,Then my dad also found a big arowana washed up on the shore.
What's funny is that a large moth bass is actually an invasive species, but a lot of people I know think they are native. Kind of interesting really.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I'm not saying the box stores are more responsible, but I was just saying that they provide the temptation by selling the fish, and I have seen some of their labels before with totally wrong information(saying a fish will grow to a max of 6 inches when they grow to 20 inches in real life for example.) I just hope that the fish dumping problem does not ruin the hobby for everyone else.

What a bogus complaint...you are saying it's their fault for offering them for someone else to mis-treat them. So it is Smith & Wesson's fault for offering a gun that gets used to kill someone?

Last edited:

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
What's funny is that a large moth bass is actually an invasive species, but a lot of people I know think they are native. Kind of interesting really.

They are a North American native species, even though they don't naturally occur 'everywhere'. Their natural range is the majority of the central and southeastern US. They are invasive to some bodies of water where they have been introduced illegally but they most certainly are a native species. In the bodies of water where they have been introduced, they often out-compete the naturally occurring fishes there (Smallmouth bass, etc). They also have been introduced all over the world and undoubtedly are invasive in those countries, as well.

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
What a bogus complaint...you are saying it's their fault for offering them for someone else to mis-treat them. So it is Smith & Wesson's fault for offering a gun that gets used to kill someone?
Obviously I have been wrong in my choice of wording and how I have chosen to express the feeling(that's what I get for not fully chewing on my thoughts before expressing :lipssealedsmilie:). No, I don't think that the stores having these fish for sale means that they are responsible for the purchaser's decisions. What I was trying to really express:
Most of my experience has been that someone points at a fish and says "I want that one", and the employee just nets the fish up, prices it, and doesn't ask any relevant questions(like how big the tank is). Granted, I have met a few employees that actually do ask these questions(which I appreciate). I know some customers most likely lie to the employees, and it's not like they can refuse a sale. I do however think that it would be very beneficial for the stores to educate their employees to ask such questions on a regular basis. As stated before though, if the customer has their mind set on something, they will get it. It would be nice if the employees could refuse a sale on large fish(like common plecos) but thats just not the way big buisness works. One of the problems I think is that(petsmart and petco for example) they do not have a very wide selection as far as different variants of the same fish. So it's either a common, or have to go somewhere else.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store