This seems unsafe to me. What do you think?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
So, I put a tank up for sale in the local classifieds. Naturally, I browsed some other people's listings while at the same time, trying to get rid of one of my own aquariums ;)

I noticed this 150 gallon aquarium (selling for $500, btw)...and was quite surprised to see that it isn't resting directly on the floor, but rather some thick plywood and maybe 2x4s? :uhoh:

400px_12481664653_1.jpg

Is that actually safe? And what do you suppose would be the point of doing this?

400px_12481664653_1.jpg

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Oh yeah! I never thought of that. I would think there would be some permanent impressions on that floor by now...

LOL, I think it's an arowana who didn't get redeye correction? ;)

rastoma

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
Jasper, TN
Maybe the floor was a little uneven the wood under the plywood is slightly different to make it level.

Other than slight indentations on the wood floor, the weight is spread out across the 3 2x4's. 2x4's are used to hold walls the weight of the roof so I wouldn't see any worries about them holding the tank. The plywood is not going to cave in as the 2x4's are evenly spaced.

And even more unlikely reason but you never know.... maybe the electrical outlet is in the floor under the tank? Ripley's Believe It....... Or Not.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
And even more unlikely reason but you never know.... maybe the electrical outlet is in the floor under the tank? Ripley's Believe It....... Or Not.
I have seen it before in places. But even more weird is in a few rooms in my school there are like 15 outlets in the ceiling that is unreachable unless you have a ladder.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
it'll prob be fine ..
the weight will be distributed over the length of the runners and across the solid board the stand rests on

kind if like joists and flooring

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
SCARY FISH!! AAAAAHHHH!!!! Kidding. I wouldn't trust it, honestly...the pallet supports (2x4s) could snap and bam, big oops on their hands. They were just lazy and didn't remove the pallet lol.

:cheers:

Bushkill

Registered Member
Dec 1, 2011
Bushkill, PA
Real Name
Angelo
The weight distribution over the 3 that sit on the floor is fine. When a tank doesn't sit level, you shim the stand. Possibly the floor was bad enough that they made a custom "sub-stand". Honestly, we're all guessing at the "why", but I don't see the tank crashing down any time soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store