Cause of pleco death?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

velvetsand

AC Members
May 12, 2012
Michigan
Real Name
Kristin
I had a large pleco in a 50 gallon tank with other much more delicate fish and he was suddenly half-dead on his back one day and dead the next. I thought they were extremely hardy. I've never had one die on me actually. When they get too big, I always bring them to the local family owned pet store and trade them in. What could be the cause of a sudden death of a healthy pleco?

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
agreed. 'large' plecos need large tanks, and a 50 gallon just doesn't cut it.

diet could also be a factor, as certain species need certain diets. do you know which exact species this pleco was?

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Un fortunately, plecos are not all that hardy. They are not fragile, but not hardy either. I have been breeding and raising different plecos for 6 years or so, and there are many unexplained pleco deaths. Unless you have someone qualified to do a fish autopsy, chances are you may never know. Sorry for the loss.

velvetsand

AC Members
May 12, 2012
Michigan
Real Name
Kristin
I've had larger plecos in this same tank that lived very long lives. Like I said, I've never had one die on me. The pleco was just not a small one is all.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Can I ask the point of repeatedly getting plecos and returning them to start again when they get too big instead of just not getting big plecos?

I ask bc I'm curious.

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I read your bio. It might have something to do with water quality if your tanks are really stocked as described.

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I had a large pleco in a 50 gallon tank with other much more delicate fish and he was suddenly half-dead on his back one day and dead the next. I thought they were extremely hardy. I've never had one die on me actually. When they get too big, I always bring them to the local family owned pet store and trade them in. What could be the cause of a sudden death of a healthy pleco?
Agression/stress....

[h=5]About velvetsand[/h]Biography:I have 3 betta bowls, a 30 gallon tall tank with many fancy guppies, a few glo-light tetras, a few gold noeon tetras, 2 cory cats, a chinese algae eater, a pleco, 4 mystery snails and many ghost shrimp, and a 50 gallon long tank with a blood red parrot cichlid, a convict-parrot cichlid, 2 black convict cichlids, 1 pink convict cichlid, 1 very large bichir, 1 reed fish, 2 meeki cichlids, some type of albino shark/catfish, some crayfish, and a pleco.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store