Not to stunt

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
Hey, all... Another rooky question that may sound silly. Wanted to buy a couple of guppies so my bn. pleco isn'y lonely.. ended up with a trio of blue cobalts and 8-9 "green americans" (juvys) The girl I bought them from said she gets her food "Ken's" where I thought I could find him. But I can't. Will someone suggest a quality guppy food supplier to me? Thanks..Jim

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Fish do not get lonely unless they are a social fish. A social fish is one that is better off in a large shoal of usually 6-8 or more. Many fish, especially plecos, do not tolerate other fish especially their own kind. To that end, when you have that type of fish you need to overstock them to help prevent aggression. Most fish really don't "see" another fish as a friend in the human sense of friends. Some social fish are Guppies, endlers, tigerbarbs, bala sharks, Silver Dollars etc. It isn't so much a friendship as it is a feeling of safety in numbers. This is common in most shoaling fish. When a shoaling fish is raised solitary, they are often stressed from the lack of numbers and don't do well. Of course there are exceptions in everything and fish are no different.

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
Thanks again

I guess I'm childish for being sixty years old. It's hard for me to wrap my head around a perfectly happy animal/fish would rather be completely alone all the time. I suppose mating is just hormones. Socialization a pain and aggravation necessary only in a civilized society. Maybe that's why I'm slowly losing interest in bettas. My bristenose is in a 40 gallon corner aquarium completely by himself and a piece of driftwood. You really think that's okay for him? I shouldn't try to find a three and a half inch female for him? Seriously ...? And petluvr.. Thank you very much, again Jim

Last edited:

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
I guess I'm childish for being sixty years old. It's hard for me to wrap my head around a perfectly happy animal/fish would rather be completely alone all the time. I suppose mating is just hormones. Socialization a pain and aggravation necessary only in a civilized society. Maybe that's why I'm slowly losing interest in bettas. My bristenose is in a 40 gallon corner aquarium completely by himself and a piece of driftwood. You really think that's okay for him? I shouldn't try to find a three and a half inch female for him? Seriously ...? And petluvr.. Thank you very much, again Jim
It's not a problem for him to be alone, you could maybe see if another fish or two could go in there.

I have a crowntail Betta named Nama. He is an example of a fish being alone and happy. I put him in a community tank, and his colors faded and he got fat and lazy. Now he is in his own 5.5 and he is very happy, he has good colors and is very active.
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1341202546.284228.jpg
(the reason why he had fish behind him in that picture was because I had to use that tank as a hospital for a few days)

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1341202546.284228.jpg

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I am right on your heels age-wise and that has nothing to do with this. Altruism is a great asset and yes, it seems like it is impossible that an animal would prefer a solitary existence. A perfect example is the polar bear that will stay with a mate to ensure he pass on his genes and will fight off any other suitors. After a month or so he will venture off and not see another mate for possibly years. They live a solitary existence by choice. A male betta is another example of not wanting to be associates with another of his own species except to mate, but may tolerate the presence of another species. Crazy, I know. It is just something we need to learn. We do not need to like it, just understand it and respect their behaviors.

For your pleco, you can always add several top swimmers to help fill out the tank to make better use of it. You could even get a mate of the for the pleco you have, just don't expect to see them sharing a cave except during spawning.

It's pretty common to extend our emotions to our pets. Personally, I'm glad they we can and sometimes do.

(Note: I buy all my fish supplies from Ken's Fish)

Last edited:

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
Absolutely right excuzzzeme..some deep water sharks fit that genre too, I suppose. No arguement.I may try to find him a mate, yes.I considered a few young angelfish to see if I could get a pair but I hear that may be trouble. I like dwarf cichlids but I don't think anyone would like that. I can just picture two inch apistos dealing with nightly feeding forays. So he'll be alone until I figure the right thing...should go looking for her now, I think. Yes Ken appears to be a good supplier- Thanks excuzzzeme. Jim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store