Fighting cyano and fry.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
I'm at the point where dosing erthyro is the only way I'm going to get ahead of this cyano. Only I have a couple batches of multi fry. Now, I'm not thinking this is going to be a problem, but I thought I would post and check.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I don't like the idea of using antibiotics in a tank with healthy fishes...just my opinion. Have you tried more natural ways to get rid of the cyano?

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Are you talking about cyanobacteria ? And what kinds of multi fry do you have ?
A relatively safe method of getting rid of cyanobacteria, is to do a water change- lower your water level by about 40-50%, with your filter off, and spot dose hydrogen peroxide at close range (with a syringe or test kit pipette) onto the cyanobacteria patches. Leave it sit for 30-45 minutes - you should begin to see bubbles rising off the cyano - means it's working. Leave it overnite & repeat the treatment a second day if need be. That should get rid of the cyano permanently.
Careful not to dose the h2o2 directly at any fish while you're doing it..
Then vacuum well and clean up any detritus/decomposing plant matter etc., and provide some form of water circulation throughout your tank - a small pump, airstone, spray bar, whatever - that should do the trick.

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
Yes, I have tried all the other methods I am aware of, black out, spot H2O2, increased flow. I vac out the spots every WC and as soon as they appear, but I keep getting it popping back up. Best guess is that I end up with patches that get covered by thier rescaping the bottom and those then act as seed for new bloom patches. The H2O2 showed the best success, but I'm still getting blooms.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
In those areas where you can obviously see that the cyano extends further into the substrate than just on the surface, you'll need to place your syringe head directly into the substrate to dose, and rid those areas.
That's probably one of the reasons why it keeps coming back, you're not getting it all deep enough.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store