Angelfish and Bettas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
I did some searching about maybe putting a betta in my 55 angel tank. I've gotten some conflicting answers so I wanted to see what you guys thought. I've read quite a few times that it comes down to the individual fish (which is what we read about all kinds of possibly aggressive fish anyway). I've also read that angels are nippy with other long gunned fish but then I read that they're only aggressive within their own species (that's how mine seem to be. If they do any chasing it is with each other even when the tank was heavily stocked).

Is it worth it to try out?

If it is worth it and it doesn't work out here are my options for moving. I can put the betta in our other 55 that is full of livebearers and danios or in a 10g grow out (I don't know how worried I need to be about it eating fry. The fry in that 10g are usually pretty big when moved over). If none of that sounds good just let me know and I will reconsider.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using the Monster Aquaria Network app

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
I vote no on the betta and angels. I tried it once many years ago, and it was NOT a good outcome. I know some ppl HAVE kept them together, but, I haven't heard very often of it working long term. Bettas tend to get highly territorial and fiesty, so do angels. Neither tend to back down, when they feel threatened. He would probably do just fine in the other 55, though! As long as the other fish respected his territory. The 10 gal would also be an option. My guy, Salvador, is currently LOVING it in his 10 gallon with 5 neons, 4 ghost shrimp, and a hoard of growing baby mystery snails. He doesn't bother anyone, and they don't bother him. He doesn't like being with anyone else, though. Not long term, anyways... & he's a pretty mellow guy. Back to your point, though- I really don't think it will work on the long term.

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
That helps a lot actually. I tend to try for the angel tank first because that's my tank with all my favorites in it but the 10g and 55 aren't a problem. I think I will get one and give it a shot in the other 55 which I think will be fine as all the fish in there aren't concerned about another fish.

I also have a 2.5g tank that I use to hatch eggs but I don't know how long I will continue with that so if 2.5g with a sponge filter is adequate I could do that too and keep it on my table.

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Hmm, the more I think about it the more I figure I could give it a shot and then move if there is a problem.

What are the rules about females versus males? I've heard of people with multiple bettas in the same tank but I know I'm not supposed to mix males

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
I have a 10 gallon betta sorority running, actually. That is my other 10 gallon tank. There are 5 girls in there, and they don't like sharing their space with anyone else. I think they are more aggressive with other fish than my male is. They get along fine with each other, but they were all added at exactly the same time so no one could claim territory before the others, and the tank is heavily planted. They established a pecking order quickly, and are peaceful as can be with each other, now. Can be vicious with anything else in the tank, though, and did not do well with anyone in any other tank, either. My girls are MEAN. To my understanding, if you get a betta that will leave the angels alone, you have to be REALLY careful with the angels and him after they reach maturity, which is when they can start to go after him. There is a strong chance they can bully him for territory, and if he fights back (which is likely), they can shred him in a second. When I tried it, I had the opposite happen. My betta killed the small angels I had over the course of 24 hours, 1 at a time, and I never saw him doing it, until he attacked the last one- it wasn't pretty, and it was very fast. There really wasn't any warning. They had lived together for about a month before he started. He lived the rest of his days with platys, mollies, and cories & never had an issue. Be really careful if you try that mix. From my, personal, experience, they don't always let you know there is a problem beforehand, & one will just off the other(s). Make sure you have VERY heavy cover in that tank, and lots of pockets to make different territories, if you attempt it... and watch them really closely.

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Well I definitely don't want to rescape. I have some cover and caves but definitely not sized for angels. I'll just talk my girlfriend into having one with her tank or into using our 2.5g (if that is ok) and have one on the table instead of a plant.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I use to raise Bettas by the thousands. Females do not fight each other. Males are another story.

I too agree with above, angels and Bettas do not mix.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
I wouldn't do it. It's too much of a risk

I think the reason why some people have done it is because each Betta has its own personality, and it seemed to get along, theirs were probably more social than the avg. betta.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store