Red Hook Silver Dollars in trouble

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PorchMonkey

AC Members
Jul 16, 2011
A woman at our LFS has been trying to rehome her 4 5-6 inch red hooks for the past three months. Everyone that has shown interest has a tank that is smaller than hers. She has had them in her 55 gallon for the past 9 months.
I have an 80 gallon I could keep them in with a red ump geophagus. Upon my research I see they get VERY large. If she doesn't find a home soon she said she is going to give them to the next person who shows interest no matter how small their tank is. I would not buy a bigger set up for them, they would have to stay in my 80 with the geo. Should I do this or do you think I'd be making a mistake? I'm still reading up on the fish and haven't made any decisions. Need advice badly...

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
SD's need alot of swimming room. Unless you have a 6' tank don't bother.It is unfortunate that she has fish that she can't or won't take care of. If she knows how to ship them USPS priority, I can take them for shipping cost (not overnight).

They get about the size of a cup saucer.

PorchMonkey

AC Members
Jul 16, 2011
My better judgement told me not to get them and that is why I came here. I hate to see them go to a smaller tank and I'm pretty sure that's what is going to happen. I think that she did care about them at first and did try to find them a better suited home. And now she just wants rid of them. I will tell her about you and see if she's willing to ship them.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Agreed. They'll need at least a 6' print and a decent enough size of school to handle their temperament.

PorchMonkey

AC Members
Jul 16, 2011
Sadly, I got back to her too late. I know where the fish are and they are with someone who would tell me off if I even attempted to say something to him about this. Thank you for trying to help and especially "excuzzeme" for offering to take them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store