4 year old Angelfish with new Angelfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kingswife1

AC Members
Jul 2, 2012
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Hello to all........

A friend of mine gave me a 55 gallon tank with some fish. There are 7 fish in this tank: 1 angelfish, 3 tetras (not sure what kind), some kind of catfish (but it's small, maybe 2 inches), a suckerfish (8 inches), and a small 2 inch fish (unknown). I would like to add more angelfish, but the angelfish that's in this tank is 4 years old. Is it a good idea to add new angelfish with the one I already have? Also, what about rainbow fish? I've heard mixed reviews about adding rainbow fish to an aquarium that has angelfish in it. Do they make "good" tank mates for the angelfish?

cicrush13

AC Members
Oct 4, 2010
Detroit
Real Name
Steve
First off welcome to AC!

I would not add any angels to this one's territory. I'm not sure if it has lived with another angel in this tank so it would be best to leave the angel alone.
(Otherwise replace it with the group of angels you are thinking of).

Rainbows are peaceful fish and can be kept with angels usually without a problem.
What species of rainbows are you thinking of?

Kingswife1

AC Members
Jul 2, 2012
Hi Steve,

You just brought up another question for me.....would 6-8 more fish, at that size be suitable for my 55 gallon tank? I already have 7 fish in it (see first post). Thanks for the size information, too. I was under the impression that there was a 2 inch difference between the two.

cicrush13

AC Members
Oct 4, 2010
Detroit
Real Name
Steve
Based on what you already have I don't think that will be an issue.

The sucker fish is probably a pleco of some kind and can get larger.
I would look at re-homing this guy sometime in the future.

Just to be sure:

What kind of filter do you have? (Power, canister)?

How may gallons per hour (GPH) is it rated for?

How often do you do water changes and how much (what %)?

Based on your response to these questions I think we can better address what you can add to your tank.

Hope this helps!

Kingswife1

AC Members
Jul 2, 2012
I really have no idea........I've heard it depends on what I'm feeding them and how much I feed them.

I saw on a few websites that I should feed the angelfish twice a day, but in small amounts that it will eat in 5 min with the consideration of the other fish. I'm still trying to figure out what these little guys prefer and I've noticed that there is some food left over that goes to the bottom of the tank. With that being said, my best guess would be 50% water changes, maybe once every week or two weeks. I'm really talking in an area that I'm not sure about. I'm a beginner!

ryukin_5

AC Members
Mar 30, 2010
Antigua W.I
if i might add you could look at getting another penguin 350 for the other side of the tank ... the more filtration the better plus it`s always good to have two (2) just in case one goes down..

just a suggestion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store