New to salt.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jlennonW

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
I have never had a salt tank of my own but I took the dive Sunday. I am starting small and just see where it goes.
So far I am very pleased with what I got.
Est. 3 gallon cylinder
AC 30 filter
Penn flex 150 watt titanium heater
Est. 2 pounds of live sand
Led lights(white/blue)
Est. 2 pounds live rocks.

Let me know what you think.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1341234063.871366.jpg ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1341234078.102941.jpg

mbd521

AC Members
Jan 23, 2009
Akron Ohio
Welcome to the addiction!!! It looks pretty good to me! I think a 150 w heater is pretty extreme, but it should work along as it does get stuck on! Have you bought any test kits? You will definately need them!! On a tank so small the water parameters are going to get really loopy really fast!!! "They" say that the best tanks for beginners are a lot bigger. The reasoning is because of water stability... More water means better stability! Not saying that it can't be done! I'm sure it can, but I would suggest very very carefully watching the water parameters!!

jlennonW

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
Welcome to the addiction!!! It looks pretty good to me! I think a 150 w heater is pretty extreme, but it should work along as it does get stuck on! Have you bought any test kits? You will definately need them!! On a tank so small the water parameters are going to get really loopy really fast!!! "They" say that the best tanks for beginners are a lot bigger. The reasoning is because of water stability... More water means better stability! Not saying that it can't be done! I'm sure it can, but I would suggest very very carefully watching the water parameters!!
Thank you very much for the advice. I work at a LFS (not saying I know what I am doing) I have all test kits at my disposal. I have been running a brackish tank for the past year and have seen some of the loops you mention.
I do enjoy a challenge that's part of my interest of the hobby(life).
Oh and the heater is on a controller with an external prob(not saying they won't fail) so I hope to eliminate that fail.

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
That's great man! I'm working on getting a salt setup soon myself. Jeez it is expensive to start. All the equipment and not to mention liverock and sand! Mine will be 125g I'm so pumped. Keep us updated on your progress.

mbd521

AC Members
Jan 23, 2009
Akron Ohio
Thank you very much for the advice. I work at a LFS (not saying I know what I am doing) I have all test kits at my disposal. I have been running a brackish tank for the past year and have seen some of the loops you mention.
I do enjoy a challenge that's part of my interest of the hobby(life).
Oh and the heater is on a controller with an external prob(not saying they won't fail) so I hope to eliminate that fail.

:D well good luck and again welcome to saltwater!!! With your experience with brackish tanks and the information available to you at your job (and here) it sounds like you will be successful!! Please keep us updated!! I know I am pretty new myself! ( just about to put my first fish in my tank!!)

Sent from my Desire HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Welcome to the dark side, I'm sure Greech is making your cookies as we speek. Tank looks great, I think little tanks like that are super cute.

Sent from my Droid using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Very cool looking tank. Congratz!

But like mb said, just keep an eye on those water params because they can creep up fast on you with a tank that small.

jlennonW

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
You ready for all the newbie salt questions? Haha.
Here it is. I have some stuff growing and I am looking for some IDs.
I know I have some coralline which I hope to spread.
In the picture below the looks like a annomie(sp) to the left but what is the orange stuff growing on the right?

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1341425418.486681.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store