Sponge filters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cichlidsguppies

AC Members
Jul 2, 2012
I have a 55 gallon tank and I'm going to get a sponge filter for it and I'm wondering if I can just have one 125 gallon sponge filter for about 10 African cichlids (mbunas). Or do i need 2? I am getting the hydro sponge pro filter.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I suggest ya save yerself some heartache, forget the sponge filter idea, and invest in a good HOB filter. First, sponge filters only supply biological filtration and that will rapidly be minimized as the wastes and uneaten food from a tank of cichlids (which will inevitably occur unless you severely underfeed your fish) collects and clogs the pores of the sponge. Second, I really can't support lack of mechanical filtration on any cichlid tank, 'cept maybe a tank with a pair of a dwarf species. Cichlids in general are just too messy; they're messy eaters and produce significant amounts of waste. Ya'd hafta vacuum the substrate quite often to keep detritus under control; vacuuming weekly or biweekly with a water change wouldn't be enough. Third, I'm skeptical that a single sponge filter could provide enough current and surface agitation to ensure adequate gas exchange for the high bioload an overstocked tank of mbuna will place on the tank. Lack of gas exchange will inevitably lead to low dissolved oxygen. Finally, I've had mbuna pick at the sponge filters in my QT tanks, so ya need to consider the possibility the fish may gradually pick the filter apart. Sponge filters have their place in the hobby, but it isn't in a mid-sized tank full of messy cichlids.

Are ya lookin' at a species tank or a mixed tank of mbuna? I generally keep around 15 mbuna in a 55 gallon mixed species tank, with heavy filtration (500-600 gpm of flow rate through the filters). 10 fish should be alright, but just some info in case ya end up with aggression issues. Ya do have some room to play with the number of fish in the tank.

Cheers,

WYite

cichlidsguppies

AC Members
Jul 2, 2012
I knew that mbunas needed lots of filtration but I didn't realize that they needed THAT much. It's going to be a species only with electric yellow labs.I Plan on breeding them. I also plan on having a 190 gph power head that skims water on the surface. And the sponge filter I am buying has large pores. But based in your info I think I'll just stick with my current power filter. It's a penguin bio wheel 350. Do you think I'll need another power filter to supplement the 350

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I have run 55s with only sponge filters. I disagree strongly that they are only bio. Squeeze one into a bucket after a week...there is A LOT of gunk. But, you really need more than one in my opinion. I would run at least 2 but would also do twice a week water changes. My water quality was just as good as with my current HOB/cannister combos I run now. I just didn't care for the look of them. Easy...yes, cheap....yes, efficient..mostly yes, pretty....no! LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store