Brown algae question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
At least I think it's algae. It grows like algae and it's brown. Here's what I'm wondering. Can my oto's eat it? Is it bad for a tank or is it just like any other algae and fine to have around as long as it doesn't overrun anything?

It grows right on the line where substrate meets glass and is ugly as sin. I scrape it good but it comes back quick. I honestly don't mind some algae in my tank for fish like oto's and other fish I have that scavenge on it I'm just wondering also why I'm getting brown instead of the green?

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Brown algae that you describe is likely Diatoms. It occurs frequently with fairly new tanks that have cycled. It will often go away on it's own but if not there is nothing wrong with your fish having a go at it. Some actually like it while others won't touch it. Your phosphates (?) need to balance out and it will disappear.

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Ah right on. Ok sounds good to me. I try to allow some algae to grow just because I bought my oto's fairly early in my tank's life and I know there can be issues with really young tanks and those fragile guys. I lost one a couple days after bringing home from the lfs but the others have done wonderfully XD

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Algae where the substrate meets the glass is common. It happens to pretty much every established tank. You can't clean it with a magnet and fish can't reach it, so all you can really do is clean it manually with a credit card (or similar) if it bothers you!

Brown "algae" are indeed diatoms, but the above I get on all of my tanks with sand, new or old...it's just one of those things.

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Right on. The way I get it off on the substrate line is just scraping it while I'm doing gravel vac'ing. I just scrape real quick in between pushing down into the gravel to agitate the gunk out.

I'll have to do some searching about diatoms. I've read that a thousand times on this site but never really looked into any detailed explanations.

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
Otos LOVE the diatom "algae"... they'll chow down on that stuff. As already established, it won't hurt anythig in your tank, and will go away eventually (if the otos and snails don't eat it first.). :D

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Haha sweet. Makes me happy. No wonder the rest of my oto's seem to be doing so well. I let that stuff grow all over my rocks and glass and my glass stays pretty clear except for on the substrate line so they must really be enjoying it XD

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store