Detaching a suction cup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
This may seem like a ridiculous question, but does anyone have any tips on unsticking a suction cup? I have a 2 1/2 gal. tank that is home to a guppy. In it I use a Whisper micro filter. The problem is, I took out the filter to change the gravel (it had that nasty painted gravel in it) and one of the suction cups stayed stuck to the glass. I can't reattach it to the filter without taking it off, and currently some water shoots out the back where the s.c. is supposed to be. I have tried everything I can think of but it is stuck good!

cpn_aaron

recovering fishaholic
Mar 3, 2004
Melbourne, FL
Visit site
I have this problem often with my powerheads and I just take a mechanical pencil or pen and wedge the tip under and lever it up. I think a razor blade and needle are a little extreme since they could damage the suction cup.

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
sometimes you can slide it to the edge of the glass and the corner of the tank will help raise one edge. Kyle

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried a mechanical pencil already but couldn't get it under the edge. I can't slide the edge beyond the glass because of the trim, so that option's out. I'll pick up some razor blades today and see how that works......I'll have to be careful not to cut it though.

Philbe

AC Members
Oct 13, 2003
ottawa canada
Visit site
I use a little knife used for speading icing on cakes. It's really thin and a little flexable. Look for one at your local dollar store.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
I can't slide the edge beyond the glass because of the trim, so that option's out.
Slide it to the corner, it won't round the corner of the tank without at least loosening up a little. But the dredit card phone card idea is a good one. I carry a pocket knofe, and it inevitably comes out every time I have a problem with something. It is very easy to damage a suction cup with a knofe or razor, so the plastic card idea seems like a better reccomendation to me. Toothpicks will work as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store