Blood Parrot aggression?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kriskitty23

AC Members
Feb 15, 2012
Ok...so I have had my two Blood Parrot's for about two years. They have always co-existed just fine, no issues, no aggression. Today, I did a water change and decided to move the decor around and change things up a bit. I've done this before without concern. Right after I finished adding water back in, I began cleaning my second tank when I heard splashing from the Parrot tank...sure enough, the two Parrot's were circling one another in what would appear to be a courtship dance. I say appear to be, because they periodically turn and peck at each other’s lips. Do you think this has to do with my moving the decor? I'm hoping they will settle down soon, as my next tank size down is a 29 gallon and I'm not comfortable keeping one in a tank so small.

Anyone have any similar issues with Parrot's?

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
I'm not sure so don't quote me on this but I'd say it could be a couple things. Assuming they're territorial (I don't know if they are) then moving the tank around could ave caused them to start going after certain territory and fighting over it which is ok I think as long as it doesn't get out of hand. Secondly, if it is indeed a male and female I think lip locking is a sign of courtship which could be very interesting for you XD

Like I said I'm not positive and I've never kept them before but that's just my gut feeling

kriskitty23

AC Members
Feb 15, 2012
Thank you for your thoughts. I'm not sure of the sex of these two...not too sure on how to sex them. One is a bit smaller than the other and the larger one has a funky eye (I'm assuming genetic thing...he had it when I got him, pretty sure he's blind in one eye), other than that, no differences. I just checked upstairs again and it looks like things have calmed down a bit. It would be interesting to find eggs in there, though, must say! Though I've heard most males are infertile. Either way, no bloodshed so far! Hopefully territory has been restablished. I will make sure not to move it around again! lol

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Lol right on. My fish acted very weird and skittish for a few days during my last scape and moving part of the stock out so it could just be that. Don't let it discourage you though. Things always seem to settle down pretty quick. Yeah I think I heard makes are infertile too though I have seen a tank with 2 blood parrots in it have eggs lain. Made me kinda feel bad for them =/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store