FEEDING NOCTURNAL FISH

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sharmz30

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
I have had a true upside down catfish for a week now and he is healthy but I haven't seen him eat for a few days. When he was first introduced to the tank, he would swim during the day as well and eat the food but after a couple of days he hides all day and sometimes I see him come out at night. I also have 4 corys in the tank and at night a drop shrimp sinking pellets for the catfish. The problem is I can't tell if he is eating the food or the corys are at night when i'm asleep so i'm wondering if that's normally how everyone feeds their nocturnals or do you guys do something special?

Thanks!

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
I drop pellets when the lights go off. If you're worried and you're up late you can always shine some light in there at night after you feed to see if the catfish is messing with it at all. I use just a flashlight (I use the flash for my smartphone but it stays on) but they recommend a red light for observing nocturnals. If you're worried about other fish getting his food you could also always feed a bit more and see if there's a difference in activity or if there's some left in the morning. I know Cories eat bottom feeder pellets (that's what we are supposed to feed them) so they will definitely go after those. I'd feed enough for all of them plus some and see if there's a difference

sharmz30

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
ill give that a try, great advice. are you ever worried about overfeeding the corys by adding the extra food?

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Not really. I just did some research about over feeding actually and I found out there's really not much harm you can do to your fish by over feeding them. It seems over feeding creates problems only when the food is uneaten (by decaying and creating ammonia spikes). I'm sure many will say otherwise but I read at least 5 full articles and found many other sources saying the same thing. I'm not gonna pass it off as fact but I feel like as long as I'm not dumping food in there (I feed small amounts multiple times a day) and I'm smart about it and take care of any food that is uneaten then I'm good to go

sharmz30

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
yea i'll definitely look closely for uneaten food and take care of that. thanks a lot for the info!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store