How to train cichlids to come to the surface for food?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Ok, so about a week ago now, I bought some cockatoo cichlids. I put them in my large tank with a lot of other fish that greatly varied in size. Anyway, I can't really seem to get them any food, because when I put brine shrimp in there, the other fish get it before they do. When I put sinking pellets in there, either the other fish get it first or the little guys can't fit it in there mouths. These are the smallest pellets offered mind you. So, at this point it seems like the only way to get them food would be for them to come to the surface. I realize that they are probably just getting some food from the substrate, but I would like to be able to give them a set diet. Any good tips to train them to come to the top? Any other ways I can feed them? Thanks for your help!

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
What I did was use frozen cichlid delight (any frozen cube works though) and originally I was told to thaw it by just dipping it in the tank water and letting bits fall off so instead I just didn't move it around a lot and my angels came to the top and ate right off the cube. Eventually (after only a day or two) they learned to come to the top when the lids opened and I could feed anything that way

Sent from my Droid Incredible using the Monster Aquaria Network app

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Some fish are not as comfortable coming to the surface for food. Apistos naturally grub about the bottom looking for food. Try some frozen bloodworms.

COG Commando

MFK African Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2011
Kewaskum, WI
Real Name
Marcus
I teach my fish to recognize feeding time by turning off my filters when I'm feeding them. Even my WC Erpetoichtys calabaricus learned in three days.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I agree with Sub, Apistos just tend to stay near the bottom...with my rams, it was similar. They almost never came up to the surface to feed but luckily they were boisterous enough to get to the food in time. Live/frozen foods would be a good option to try.

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Ok, so I'll then I should probably stick with the sinking foods. So guys think that beef heart, or liver, I'm not sure which one I have, would be ok with some brine shrimp? At least until they're big enough to fight for their own food?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I'm not sure how well they would take to beefheart/liver...usually I see that reserved for larger SA/CA cichlids.

Brine shrimp should work though. I definitely would go with bloodworms as Sub mentioned...most fish cannot resist them!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Yah, they actually did manage to learn to come to the surface, just to keep you up to date, and they do love their blood worms! The usually won't eat the regular fish food, but they'll always eat the blood worms! Will I need to supplement they're diet with any thing? Or are blood worms ok as the main/only food?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Just get some other frozen whole animals that they can swallow whole. Cyclops, mysis, and spirulina enriched brine shrimp are all good choices.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store