Denitrator?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jag586

AC Members
May 29, 2012
Anyone make one of these? I saw some made with sand, and another with long coil of tube then passed through scrubbies any input.... Best of both worlds a coil of tube then pass threw sand

Sent from my LS670 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
There are several different methods of which I tried two .Coil and deep sand plenum For FW was not impressed with either method though have heard rave reviews by others. When you think about there are actually only two methods of filtration either convert the bad stuff via nitrate filters or heavily planted tanks or remove it via water changes. In both cases what is actually happening is dilution at best. Probably the best method is an open system where the water is continuously changed which is incredibly difficult for the average tank.
Hopefully some wise person will chime in but for me I would rather use the money for a better water change system ?? lol good luck gary

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
In general not worth it for FW use unless there's a problem with your tapwater since water changes can be made easily or even automatically. But if your water was from a well that had 20 ppm nitrate from the spigot and you had a brightly lit tank with an algae problem, or in the case of a set up I'm working on you want a blackwater tank and have an avalanche of liquid rock sliding out of your tap, it could make sense. I have RO available and I'll naturally use it for the initial fill and any water changes I perform, but at 65 gal it's a fairly large tank and if I can keep NO3 under 5ppm with monthly instead of weekly changes I'll save a lot of water over the course of a year. But if your tapwater is good for the fish, the fish would benefit more from your giving them more of it. In that case put your $ and sense towards simplifying water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store