Will "Fluval Ceramic 88g-CO2 Diffuser" work for DIY co2?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
I was using a small glass one, but it easly broke, so I'm trying to find a replacement that's a little more stable.

I heard when it comes to Diffuser, there a 50/50 chance of it working with a DIY CO2 system due to the lack of pressure.
So, I was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences with this one?

SpATi.jpg

SpATi.jpg

Haywood Jablome

AC Members
May 26, 2012
I am using that one with my set up, and its working very well.

Although, I did hit my bottle caps with extra silicon....inside and out.

sent from my p.o.s. HTC EVO using the Monster AquariaNetwork App

Last edited:

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
Ahh wonderful, I'm going to order one now.
Thanks!

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
I got mine today and I had a little problem with it at first.
The co2 was coming out of the tube where it connects to the diffuser.
I think the tubing was too wide so I had to use them waterproof tape.
Co2 was still leaking from there, but after an hour, it started to flow normally.

This looks like it actually works better then the glass one I had and sure is more sturdy.
I'm glad I picked this up!

Haywood Jablome

AC Members
May 26, 2012
Nice! That's unfortunate about to tubing not fitting tight.
I didn't have that problem. I bought some black airline tubing, and it was a really tight fit.

Do be sure to reinforce your bottles with more silicone. I mean really get it sealed.
After my first yeast change the pressure blew out the silicone, and sprung a leak in my generator bottle.

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
The one I have now is actually pre-made and was given to me.
It 'looks' like it's sealed really well.. . its about 2 inch of silicone.

Maybe I should wrap it up with some duck-tape just to be safe.

I was told that them waterfall type filter was bad for co2, but he never explained why it was so.
Do you know whats the reason behind this?

Haywood Jablome

AC Members
May 26, 2012
Not sure what you mean by "waterfall type filter"??
A HOB?

The only reason I would see would be that the filter produces a lot of water aggitation, and hence the co2 gets forced out of the water column.
Like with an airstone...the movement the air bubbles create will push co2 out of the water column.

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
Yeah HOB filter..
I didn't know the lingo, had to google it. :p

I'm not really sure how co2 reacts, but it has to build up from the top to bottom?
I thought as soon as the bubbles touches the water it gets mixed with it or something.
I have no idea, as you can see I never paid any attention in Science class back in the days :p

On a second note, I noticed my disfusser has has this build up of slime looking thing.
I was told it's normal, but shouldn't happen, so quickly (3-4 days).
What's the cause for this build up? Too much sugar or yeast? Too little water?
Could the slime buildup harm the fishes?

Haywood Jablome

AC Members
May 26, 2012
I have a HOB on my tank, and I'm still getting plenty of co2. Any filter that creates surface movement will release co2 from the water as it oxygenates it. I don't think you should have to worry about that.
Mine actually pushes the co2 bubbles around the tank for me.

CO2 is transferred into the water column from the surface of the bubbles. Not all of the co2 you are injecting is staying in the water.
That's why you want to use a diffuser. It chops up the co2 into a lot of smaller bubbles. This allows for greater surface area for the co2 to escape into the water. They also float to the surface of the water a lot slower than 1 big drop.

Slime? Sorry but I can't help you there. Is your yeast escaping into the tube?
I have a drop checker attached to mine, and it seconds as an overflow collection vessel.

Haywood Jablome

AC Members
May 26, 2012
I have a HOB on my tank, and I'm still getting plenty of co2. Any filter that creates surface movement will release co2 from the water as it oxygenates it. I don't think you should have to worry about that.
Mine actually pushes the co2 bubbles around the tank for me.

CO2 is transferred into the water column from the surface of the bubbles. Not all of the co2 you are injecting is staying in the water.
That's why you want to use a diffuser. It chops up the co2 into a lot of smaller bubbles. This allows for greater surface area for the co2 to escape into the water. They also float to the surface of the water a lot slower than 1 big drop.

Slime? Sorry but I can't help you there. Is your yeast escaping into the tube?
I have a drop checker attached to mine, and it seconds as an overflow collection vessel.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store