Oscar fish Problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

beepbeep

AC Members
Jul 5, 2012
Hi all, im new to this forum.
Recently got into this oscar fish craze, but unfortunately i have had a few oscar deaths in my tank.
Is there a reason that all the other fish (clown loaches, flagtail, green phantom pleco) are NOT affected, only the oscars?

Additionaly info:
- Oscars are the latest addition to the tank
- Before my last oscar died, it was breathing heavily as if gasping for air, and always lying at the bottom of the tank.
- Not all the oscars died, there is one albino still in there (just got one more tiger oscar just now)
- Water parameters are good

Appreciate all the opinions.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What size tank?

Tell us exact readings from a good liquid test kit..."water parameters are good" isn't very definitive...

Fish-Addict

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Buckinghamshire, England
Real Name
Sam
In order to allow the members here to answer your question to the best of their ability, please include more information.

What do you mean by "good" water parameters? If possible, include numbers.

What size tank? Decorations? Plants?

When we're the fish added? All at one time? What was the length of time between the oscars being added and the first problem you noticed with any of the oscars?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
In addition to the above questions,

How large are the oscars you are adding, and how large are your other fish?

Do you add additives of any kind to the tank?

Where are you purchasing the oscars from?

I'd hold off on replacing any more oscars until you can determine what's been killing them. There's no point in sentencing new fish to death.

450whpsti

Registered Member
Jul 9, 2012
Hey sorry to hear about your problem with your oscars, I've had a bunch of them. In the beginning when I was first getting into the hobby I had a few die and they were gasping for air as you said. The only thing I can think of is, do you have a bubbler in the tank? When mine were gasping for air that's exactly what they were doing literally gasping for air! If you don't have a bubbler I would suggest getting one right away so your fish have some oxygen in the tank. Hope this helps and good luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

beepbeep

AC Members
Jul 5, 2012
this might be a little late but thanks all of you for your contributions.. touchwood but i think my problem is no more.
oscars are doing well now.

one albino/lutino and two tigers.. shall upload pics one day!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Good deal. WOuld love to see pics!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store