100 Malaysian Trumpet snails in 35g tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
I think I jumped the gun when I ordered 100 MTS for my 35 gallon tank.
Someone told me i'd be lucky if i ever see them, so I decided to get a good amount of them.

After read up a bit more I started to read people complain about their tank is infested with snails and cannot get rid of them.
So, im just wondering what would be a good amount of snails to have in a tank?

Also, can adult Red Ear Slider turtles eat them? Would their shells be too hard?

Last edited:

fineexampl

noob
Feb 21, 2009
Mount Laurel, NJ
i started out with ten. i literally have thousands. they don't eat plants. they won't rob your Aunt Myrtle. sometimes they do the dishes. yes, you overdid it, but it will not destroy your tank. and you will definitely see them.

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Not positive about them as a food source but when I bought snails I got about ten blue ramshorns about 3 or 4 of which were adults.... 3 weeks later and I probably have 200 baby snails just chugging away in there.

So you can get a hundred snails out of a few in relatively short time. I honestly have no clue whatsoever how people keep them in check. The tank they're in is a dedicated snail and fry tank so I'm not worried about getting overrun but all I've heard to get rid of them is manual removal and feed less fish food =/ so yeah you went a little overboard just because the reproduce so easily but no biggie =)

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
You can always sell some as puffer food to people on here. I started off with 50 spread between 3 of my tanks 4 months ago and I have fed my puffers literally thousands since then. MTS arent snails I get as "pets" like some of the other snails I've gotten. I got them because they are great for fluffing sand tanks and as food for my puffers. I have at least a hundred in my 20 tall, but I never see them except when I'm feeding the tank or at night. They know when you're feeding though and they all come up to the surface. It's kind of creepy...

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
I'm just worried they will reproduce so much that they will cover my whole tank and start coming out of the tank and all over my house... but maybe im over thiking it -- haha!

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Yeah probably over thinking it. I think they can leave a tank if there's room but I've never seen em come all the way out. Just really watch how much you feed and stuff and if it ever becomes a problem come back here and there's all kinds of tips for eliminating them.

fineexampl

noob
Feb 21, 2009
Mount Laurel, NJ
I'm just worried they will reproduce so much that they will cover my whole tank and start coming out of the tank and all over my house... but maybe im over thiking it -- haha!
Pretty sure they max out at a certain level. I need my thousands of MTS with my deep sand bed, but you may not. You may get alot, but if you don't feed them, they will not survive. Just feed how you would normally and let the snails eat ****, so to speak.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
I would sell them but from the looks of it, I don't think there many who would really buy that many.
If all they really need is one or two to and a little time to grow their population, then why would anyone buy that many (other then me jumping the gun)

Turns out I was able to cancel the order in time.
I'm just going to buy 3 or 6 and see how it turns out.

Thanks for your responses!
:)

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
Yeah, but I don't want to get 100 of them only to have them starve to death. Though I wouldn't mind feeding them to other pets.. . as long as its a quick death.

jayla2251

AC Members
Jul 1, 2012
Wichita, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Jayla
They only over populate because of over feeding. So if your really good at not overfeeding you'll be fine. I have thousands, but I sell them. The last time I shipped out snails I had to count out 400-500. And that's not uncommon. Only 3 orders! I don't know why people want 200+ but they wanna pay I'll send them to them. Hell on aquabid someone is always trying to sell 1,000+ for like 100+ bucks! I've never had a MTS get out of a tank, mystery snails on the other hand....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store