Australoheros Oblongum Fry Eaten

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tankenvy

AC Members
Apr 4, 2007
I have six Austros and after about six months, a pair bond formed and they had their first brood last week. Eggs hatched a few days ago and male ate them all within a few days.

I let them try to raise the fry rather than remove the fry to a breeding tank because I thought letting them take a shot at raising the fry might improve their parenting behavior for the next time. But I am not sure that is the case: do cichlids learn from experience and become better parents as time goes on?

If I do decide to remove some of the fry next time, how soon after they hatch as free-swimming fish should I wait before moving them?

One thing I do plan on doing is moving the other Austros from the tank and leaving just the breeding pair. Maybe that will help increase the chances of fry surviving? It's a 38 g with just a few other dithers and two plecos. I know the plecos are egg vacuums! I was actually surprised the eggs hatched at all.

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
These are awesome fish. I loved my pair, and they were developing into great parents when I lost them. Cichlids are generally very intelligent and amazing parents. But they will not get it perfect right off the bat. Give them a little time, and they will definitely raise the fry well.

Cichlids are weird in that some of them will fight amongst the pair after they lose a clutch of eggs. After mine laid their third clutch, I pulled the eggs out and it was an awful mistake. The male almost beat the female to death. Long story short, the entire tank got ich and when the male was fading and starting laying on the gravel, the female came out of hiding and would stay within a few inches of him. It almost looked like she was guarding over him. The moral of this story is they form a very tight bond, and you should leave the eggs in.

You can tell how much I loved them because they're still my profile pic after 2-3 years.

BTW, I want your extras. Shoot me a pm if you're interested.

tankenvy

AC Members
Apr 4, 2007
They're guarding a spot fiercely so I think they've got another clutch of eggs or wigglers but I can't see them; must be well-hidden. I actually wasn't planning on pulling the eggs. Rather, was gonna suck up a few of the free-swimming fry now that my fry tank is fully cycled. That's my main question now: how long after you can see them swimming is it safe to pull some to live in a fry tank?

Sorry to hear you lost your Austros. By all means I will ship you some juvies if they make it that far. You cover shipping and we will be good to go. Send me a pm with your mailing info.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store