75 tank turning into cooking pot, need to change plans, ideas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
My 20g long shrimp tank and my 75 metaframe tank are in the poorly built laundry room. We have added window tint that helps reflect light and heat, but the roof needs to be insulated, walls torn off and rebuilt with new insulation. That won't happen during the summer and today the tank has reached a crazy 95F. I turned off the lights, tossed in a frozen 2l bottle and am thinking of moving all these fish into my 110 tall and turning this tank into a terrarium. It leaks, thus it cannot be in the house if it's a fish tank. That room has a concrete slab as the floor, so it's not too big of a deal when the tank leaks a little from time to time.

So I'm not sure what to do, I have a lot of plants in there I don't want to loose. I guess I have to put back up my 40 breeder in the living room, turn the 75 into a frog or idk tank and move the shrimp into the 40. I really don't want to buy/breed crickets again, they smell sooooo bad! But at the same time, I love Gray tree frogs and cannot keep this tank as an aquarium!

I guess I need y'alls help as to what I should do. I'm going to sell off the plant doubles that are in that tank and the rest go into the 40. But what should go into the 75? It could be left empty, but then it risks being used as storage and that is not something I want. I could move the tank into the house and into the bedroom or office on the second floor if there won't be mass amounts of water in it. That would free up the laundry room for real storage, lol.

What do y'all do with your 75g or other similar sized tanks?

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
It gets that hot with the floor being concrete? Thats crazy!

If the 75 leaks, I would move everything over to the 40b even if it is just temporary. Take out the old silicon and put new in. Then you can decide from there. If there is nowhere to put it in the house (after the leak is fixed) then if you want to use it for fish you will have to keep up with the frozen bottles or get a chiller. I havent looked much, but from what I have seen, they arent cheap. In that case, I would use it as a terrarium where the temp can be that high without a problem. It is still a good idea to re do the silicon. You dont want to try to use it in the future and it leak again.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
So you heat the tar up? If you can fix the leak, do it. You dont want it getting bigger, or going to use it as a tank in a few years and realizing it has a leak.

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
It's already an aquarium.

Started filling up the 40b. Once it's mostly filled, will start moving the sand and plants over. Should be done by tomorrow and have a list/pics of plants for sale on Monday.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
I meant if you use it for a frog or something then went a few years later and set it up as an aquarium in say, a living room and filled it up to discover it had a leak that got worse over the years.

But sounds like the move to the 40 shouldnt be too bad.

Do you have somewhere in your home that you could put the 75 if the leak got fixed?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
My fish room routinely gets into the 90s and water temps get about as hot. And in the winter it gets down into the 50s. So I only keep fish that can handle it. North American natives are mostly what I keep in there, but Uruguayan Cichlids would do nicely as well, as will the Aphanius anatoliae that are coming soon.

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
If I could re-tar the 75, yes, there's lots of nice spots I would love to set it up. But for now, it is banished into the laundry room.

I would never change it back to an aquarium without either re-taring it first or moving it back into the laundry room.

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
Got some Jungle Vals, Dwarf Sag, Hygrophila corymbosa siamensis, Nymphoides "Taiwan", Crypt wendtii and Rotala roundtifolia that will be for sale, probably a package so I can get it out the door fast. Most will be the Rotala, boatloads of it really.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
U could use it as a planter seems temps r right. Either veggies or house plants
Or giant litter box both r useful.
Or to hold pet foods. ??

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store