Angel fish dieing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

starfishplus

AC Members
Feb 28, 2005
in N.C
I have a 75 gal tank that i had just turned into a Angelfish tank. i had some BN Plecos in there also. i started to miss the angel fish and then i found 1 with a red like hole on its gill plate.i added mel-afixs did as it said alot of times i would not find the dead fish it just would be gone.so i had a koi left and it was fine sunday then monday i get to looking for it and its up under my anbise plant under the long stem roots of it with my male BN Pleco is eating it.later that night as i feed them a angel is eatting food on the bottom and he charges at it. i only have 2 plecos left in that tank i had a female dead last week . could he become mean after this and is killing my angels. i have check all my water pemters.every thing is fine.its not a new tank and i has been doing water changes about 2 to 3 times a week to grow up the angels.and help out there..thanks alot..:help2:

starfishplus

AC Members
Feb 28, 2005
in N.C
bump

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
I know some suckermouth fish are known for trying to suck on a fish's slime coat and can be aggressive with them. I don't know about a BN pleco but I know when they mate there can be serious aggression. If your Angela died and your male BN pleco is fine and there's only them left in the tank I'd say there's your answer >.<

thrak76

AC Members
May 31, 2009
BN Plecos are really very community friendly, and not aggressive. I would seriously doubt them as the culprit.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
please post water parameters and maintenance schedule.
from the sounds this is a tank that you decided to add angels too?

what are the tank inhabitants? is it just angels and BN's? and are both species having issues? sounds like one female BN passed on...I would suspect there is something amiss in the water.. thee angels being more sensitive thant BN's would show the first problematic signs

Last edited:

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
I have had a twig cat attack my angels before and have heard of plecos doing the same

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
What do you feed your angelfish? I've heard stories of people who fed their angels to much green algea or kelp based foods, and the plecos would eat the fish to get to the green stuff they ate. They also might have jumped the tank, so check around it. BTW, how big did you say the plecos were? Big ones can be more aggressive. Also, a good way to tell what your pleco has been eating, is to look at the color of its feces. If they're dark and green, chances are they've been eating plants, if not, you can open it up to the possibility they might have been eating fish. They may have just been munching on something else to though, so don't get set on it. Good luck! If nothing else, move the plecos!

starfishplus

AC Members
Feb 28, 2005
in N.C
OK water PH is 7.2 and temp 82 water changed 2 times a week.i feed them a mix diet of brine shrimp pellets flake foods and some diff types of bottom feeders tabs.the male pleco is about 3 to4 yrs old and the female is about 2 the male is about 7inchs and full bristes.i did move the 2 plecos out and so far no missing fish today.my tank is also covered with glass lids so that cuts down risk of jumpers.there was only the plecos and the angels in there for the last 2 months. before that i had plecos and guppies and platies.ok i think i have answered all??? thanks guys

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
so are these juvenile angels?

starfishplus

AC Members
Feb 28, 2005
in N.C
there diff size angels...