How to best breed Angelfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Hi! I've had some little angelfish for about 4 months now, only two of them though, so I don't know if they'll pair off. Do guys think I should get another angelfish? I'm open to the idea, but I can only get one more. If I do, should I get a male or a female? I believe that right now I do have one male and one female in the tank, so which sex would raise my chances of a pair? And if I do get a pair, what (in your opinion) is the best way to breed them? I don't have a ton of room, but I do have two, about 2 gal. tanks I can use to raise them in. So, any tips, helpful advice, ways to save space, etc. will be much appreciated. Oh yah! And if you can post a pict. of your favorite angelfish, that would be great! Thanks!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
typically, when trying to get a breeding pair of Angels you would get 6-8 angels and raise them together, letting nature take it's course.
keep in mind angels are a very difficult species to sex, there really very few traits that are sperate of the 2 sexes. and it isn't until they start to breed/spawn that the sex is identified. (usually by their ovipositors or breeding tubes)
a 2 gallon tank is way too small for an angelfish...a single angel should be kept in at least a 20 gal tank ..breeding pairs can be kept in a 20 but many prefer a tank of 29g or larger for the pair.
I perrsonally keep angels P. Scalare and the more elusive P.Altum. my altum are in a 75 (I have 6). my scalare are in 29's single centerpiece fish with a breeding pair in a 29

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Ooo! Those are very pretty angels! Ummm... I don't know if this matters, but I would not put the adults in a two gallon tank, just the eggs and fry until they're big enough to not get eaten, then they would move into the big tank. Still thanks for the advice!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store