Too freakin much money for used tanks!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
So because I'm broke and also have the time, I've been searching for a good deal on a 10 gallon aquarium. I know it wouldn't even cost that much brand new retail but like I said, I'm broke and also have the time, so why not?

Wow. $120 for a 10 gallon aquarium?! Really?? Even with the random cheap **** included. No freaking way. http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/for/3068071018.html

This is just one of many, many crazy prices I've seen on various size aquariums. I know there's been posts on this very subject before but it just blows my mind A. How stupid people think others are and B. How freakin greedy people are.

This is Craigslist! Not an upscale retail store selling fine, imported merchandise.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Something is worth what someone is willing to pay. If some idiot is willing to pay $120 for a 10g, more power to them. In my area most used tanks (the few there are) are way overpriced too. It sucks but there is nothing I can do about it.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Well, I am currently selling a 10 gallon tank with hood, light, heater and filter with optional [free] sand for $25. It's really too much, in my book, but any less is not worth it for me to sell it...and honestly, I'm not even sure I want to sell it any longer! I've gotten two emails, both all caps "HEY DO U STILL HAV THE FISTANK???!!! LMK K THX" which I've replied to, and gotten no response. One sounds like someone who is computer illiterate, and one sounds like a preteen.

I know if I just wait around, I will need that filter, hood, heater and light, so I'm considering just giving away the 10 gallon tank since it's just taking up space...I already have one that is unused!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I never throw out any aquarium supplies I might use. So I hang onto all my filters, heaters, etc. The only stuff I'd get rid of is plastic plants and other junk like that. I feel like hoarding aquariums, the way people are charging for them around here.

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Yeah I've heard a lot of people say their area is rough for tank prices. Generally I could get a 55-75g with stand, hood, lights, gravel, filter, pretty much everything for around $200. I have seen some crazy prices though like the one you posted but I've also found good ones like a ready to rock 10g with everything for $10 (and it was on here for a while, I have no idea why but I took 3 days to get around to messaging him and buying it and it had already been up a while).

It's really all over the place but there's a lot of people who just don't realize that fish equipment depreciates like a car or a computer. The second you leave the store with it the value drops markedly. Some just don't realize that and think their 10g, heater, filter, lights, and gravel that they spent $150 on is worth that still. Not even close

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
I see listings all the time that are over priced where I live. And ones that were just configured terribly and there is no wonder why the fish died (other than not cycling). Such as a 29g tank with a filter box rated for a 10g tank and a 50W heater.

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
One thing that happens on Craigslist is the bad deals stay up. For example in the DC area there is a 40 gallon acrylic tank that has been up for 18 months+ for $350.

I am sure if he dropped to a more reasonable price(say $150) it would be gone within the week.

The place to look for cheap 10 gallon tanks is your local fish club. You can probably buy one for $5 if not free. Or you get good throw-ins like the light etc and you aren't too much above the price of a new tank.

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
Tank Hoarders...

I never throw out any aquarium supplies I might use. So I hang onto all my filters, heaters, etc. The only stuff I'd get rid of is plastic plants and other junk like that. I feel like hoarding aquariums, the way people are charging for them around here.
I can see it coming...tonight on A & E:

HOARDERS, the Aquarium edition...

"Don, you really need to get rid of those empty tanks and all that extra fish junk"

"But, honey, they are worth a lot of money, and besides, I might use them someday!"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store