Are there any types of small discus?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
I have a community aquarium right now, and although I love discus, I don't know if I want a fish that big, so are there any smaller species of discus? Oh, and would they get along with a tank full of semi-aggressive tropical fish?

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
No, only stunted ones. From the tenor of your post, you don't want 5 or 6 full-grown discus in your community tank.

Mark

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
So, then basically discus have to have their own special tank? Or, is it still possible to put them with other fish? Sorry, I've only known about this fish for a month or so, so I don't know much about them or how they grow and live.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Discus can be kept with other fish but you need to be careful when selecting tank mates.
Discus tend to be very peacful..that said they are still Cichlids and can be nasty at times , tho usually with in their species.
they are often paired with peaceful tetras, cardinals are the norm, bu can be kept with other tetras.

I have mine with bn's
if you keep them you will need to keep in mind they do best in a group of atleast 5 and you need to be mindful of the 10-15 gal per discus rule.
if you aquire young discus, they are best kept in a bare bottom tank with frequent water changes, young discus should be fed 4-6 X daily and uneaten food removed = water changes.

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
:thumbsup: Continue to research this cichlid as you seem to be doing. You'll find their needs are a bit different than some others you may be familiar with. Once you have that info you can choose mates w/ similar requirements. Discus need to be the center of attention. Don't cut them short to accomodate the others. It's gotta be their world first & all others second. "T"

MaiaDee

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Payson, AZ
Real Name
Maia
They take a ton of work, but if you don't mind, they are awesome. I've only had mine 4 days and I've never done so many water changes in my life! They're juvies, so I'm changing water at least twice a day.

I keep cories with mine, but I know other people keep Blue Rams with them in addition to what is listed above.

Definitely do your homework! Simply discuss is a great forum; I've learned tons there. :)

Good luck!

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
6in flat plate isn't that big.
But there's no smaller, unless you get a stunted fish.
Price is what stops me...it's just a fish...

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Discus can be had for affordable prices I've found them from hobby breeders for a little as $15 ea with discounts for more...but it is relative...compared to other Cichids that are hard to find they are not all that out of norm for prices....they are subject to priced based on demand
you need to be aware that some breeders have very high quality fish and will price accordingly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store