Noisy Quiet One Water Pump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fwiffo

AC Members
Dec 5, 2007
hi-
i have a quiet one 1200 water pump that i use in-tank to drive an internal canister filter (fwiffo designed: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?171231-DIY-Internal-Canister-Filter!!!)

but now the pump sounds like a rock tumbler. the impeller sounds like there's sand or grit or gravel in there. i washed out the impeller well and cleaned the impeller. yet, the pump still sounds like there's something hitting the impeller. so i am looking for any way to remedy this problem. thanks in advance!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
It might be air getting tramped in the pump. Sometimes they sound like that when air gets in. Umm... not quite sure what to do about it though. You should make sure that it stays well under the water surface, and maybe shake it or something under the water to make sure there's no air left.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Is the ceramic impeller shaft broken? The pump may run like that, but it will make a ruckus.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
+1:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I had a quite one do the same..found the ceramic shaft broken

fwiffo

AC Members
Dec 5, 2007
hi- thanks for the replies. ive been very busy with work so i couldnt get bakc sooner. the shaft is metal, attached to the pump housing. the impeller spins on the metal shaft freely through magnetism when the pump is plugged in. the pump starts quiet after i wash it out, but then it becomes noisy and sound slike a rock tumbler. so im not sure. i washe dout the impeller insides where the metal shaft goes and washed out the well of the impeller in the pump housing. still nothing. the air purges after roughly 30 seconds. so i dunno. im dissappointed though. darn thing is compelling me to get a better pump, an eheim, but i dont want to spend 100 plus dollars on a stupid water pump, ya know?! good grief!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I didn't know the 1200 used a metal shaft. I've used lots of 3000s and up, and they all have ceramic shafts, and really are very quiet pumps when working correctly. Eheims are great but really expensive. A Supreme Mag 3 is just a tad more powerful than the 1200, and admittedly not as silent as the Eheim but they are very reliable and not a bad pump at all. They're about $60 or so new.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Can you take the pump out and flush it, rather then just cleaning the impeller well? There may be something else inside.
As to the shaft, is it smooth? They do wear.
Also, roll the shaft on a flat surface. It should roll in a straight line. If it veers to one side, it's not straight.

fwiffo

AC Members
Dec 5, 2007
hey- wow i became so busy i nearly forgot about the thread. i wasnt sure what the issue was, so i ordered a new pump and impeller from drfosters. i tried taking the pump apart, but the shaft was attached to the filter body. but it looked ok. i think sand was in the impeller housing itself. but thanks anyways for all the tips and help!!! you guys are great on this site!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store