Filter Floss in Canister Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ramirez

AC Members
Oct 1, 2003
North Carolina
Visit site
I'm currently running a Fluval 304 canister filter with filter floss in the bottom and middle trays, and ceramic in the upper tray. I've always put the filter floss in nylon bags for fear of the filter floss getting in the impeller or aquarium. However, I imagine the floss would do a much better job if it was not in the nylon bag.

Has anyone had any experience with putting the filter floss directly in the Fluval trays without any sort of "container"?

Thanks

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
I've never used it in a container at all.. I just stuffed it in where it said to :)

As long as the bag is porous, the fact that it is in one shouldn't matter, so long as you keep the outside of the bag free of all the "gunk" that accumulates on it. Just rinse it in your waterchange water like you would one of those filter cartridges on a HOB filter.

You still have the surface area, but putting it in a bag would cut down on any fibers that might wiggle free. Good thinking actually :)

Hydro

AC Members
Oct 31, 2003
Manitoba, Canada
Visit site
Originally posted by Ramirez
Has anyone had any experience with putting the filter floss directly in the Fluval trays without any sort of "container"?
Hi. I have a similar set up in my Fluval 304 (floss in the bottom and one of the middle trays, and biomax in the rest of the trays). I just stuffed the floss in the trays without first putting it in a bag. The filter has been running for about 5 months without any problems that I can see. The floss seems to stay put in the trays. I haven't seen any outside the trays during filter maintenance. Hope this helps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store