Fluval 306 review

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fineexampl

noob
Feb 21, 2009
Mount Laurel, NJ
Just got one of these while Petco has them on sale online with free shipping. Thought i'd give my opinions as i go through the unboxing and setup.

First off, it's dummy proof at the unboxing. The impeller cover is very much improved from the x04 series and has a tough feeling construction. The rubber gasket needs to be wrapped around the motor, but that's simple and slides right on. Motor attaches one way, so no confusion there. Priming pump is much improved from the old suction cup of the x04 series.

Concents include: motor/canister, exact same style interior as the x04 series but larger compared to my 204, intake/output are now clear plastic, hose attaching device is way improved. Comes with egg crate style foam on the bottom basket in place of the ceramic chunks in older models. Two bags full of biomax and two bags of carbon, as well as two white polishing pads in with the carbon. Also has 4 prefilter sponges just like with previous models.

Setup looks very straight forward and i will do that later tonight an post back with how easy that goes. So far i am very happy. Best of all is that it doesn't feel like cheap equipment like i have seen recently.

Anyone already own an x06 and want to chime in here? Feel free.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1342129275.551424.jpg

fineexampl

noob
Feb 21, 2009
Mount Laurel, NJ
So the fiter is installed. After assembly of the in and output and filling with media (i'm using the course foam, seachem matrix, polishing pads, and more matrix), the hardest part was positioning the output below the water line.

The unit does take some time purging itself of air. As i'm typing this i still get a decent woosh of air bubbles getting unstuck, but better out than in. Other than a slight sound of water moving around ( likely the air bubbles ), the unit is no louder than a good air pump.

The flow if water is very impressive. I may slow it down some as my gourami appears to be looking for a new place to hang. All the other fish seem unbothered.

First impression is that i'm impressed. Fluval makes a solid, customizable, performance filter.

It might just be me, but my tank already seems to look clearer.

fineexampl

noob
Feb 21, 2009
Mount Laurel, NJ
This filter is doing great. I'm curious to see how gunked up it is inside. My 204 was really gunked up today, but the 306 is still flowing strong and powerful. It's so quiet too! I had to touch it to make sure it was on today. :)

chibikaie

AC Members
Nov 19, 2011
New England, USA
I've been waffling on Fluval vs Eheim for years now. Any thoughts there? I had trouble with setting up a Fluval once, but it had no instructions and was likely an older model. Sounds like the 06 series is more idiot proof?

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
I had one and changed the filter for a eheim 2213 after it clogged too easily, my two eheims are perfect and with proper maintenance run brilliantly and I would not change them.

fineexampl

noob
Feb 21, 2009
Mount Laurel, NJ
I've been waffling on Fluval vs Eheim for years now. Any thoughts there? I had trouble with setting up a Fluval once, but it had no instructions and was likely an older model. Sounds like the 06 series is more idiot proof?
I was running a 2215 for about a month or so and it gave me nothing but problems. setup was simple, but the priming was horrible and never went easily. Maintenance was always a nightmare with or without the QD valves. It holds a lot of media, but without a basket, hard to remove if you have an issue. The Fluval has baskets, and they come out easily. The hoses are ripped and cannot kink. I admit, mounting the hoses is a pain, but once mounted, they are wonderful. I think the flow is comparable and better in that it is adjustable. Yes, you can use the QDs to mimic this, but that's if you have them. Me, i like convenience and ease. I can take apart the Fluval and not need a bucket underneath to catch spillage. Sometimes i need a cloth, but just for drips. The Eheim was ALL over the place EVERY time. Also, the Eheim is sraight and hard to carry. The Fluval is tapered and easy to carry. I can maintain the Fluval in minutes vs. the Eheim's 30min-1hr.

I had one and changed the filter for a eheim 2213 after it clogged too easily, my two eheims are perfect and with proper maintenance run brilliantly and I would not change them.

I''ve never had clogging with my Fluval. Well, i have had some, but only when it was my own fault or an issue. The Eheim same deal. I'm not knocking Eheims in general, but i LOVE my Fluval and how simple it is.

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
I was running a 2215 for about a month or so and it gave me nothing but problems. setup was simple, but the priming was horrible and never went easily. Maintenance was always a nightmare with or without the QD valves. It holds a lot of media, but without a basket, hard to remove if you have an issue. The Fluval has baskets, and they come out easily. The hoses are ripped and cannot kink. I admit, mounting the hoses is a pain, but once mounted, they are wonderful. I think the flow is comparable and better in that it is adjustable. Yes, you can use the QDs to mimic this, but that's if you have them. Me, i like convenience and ease. I can take apart the Fluval and not need a bucket underneath to catch spillage. Sometimes i need a cloth, but just for drips. The Eheim was ALL over the place EVERY time. Also, the Eheim is sraight and hard to carry. The Fluval is tapered and easy to carry. I can maintain the Fluval in minutes vs. the Eheim's 30min-1hr.

I''ve never had clogging with my Fluval. Well, i have had some, but only when it was my own fault or an issue. The Eheim same deal. I'm not knocking Eheims in general, but i LOVE my Fluval and how simple it is.
Exactly and each person is different, I actually really enjoy doing Maintenance but I only have one tank presently! I know eheims classics have been the same for years, must work or they wouldn't sell them :eek:)

chibikaie

AC Members
Nov 19, 2011
New England, USA
Wow, I guess I am never going to decide without playing around with each model. Crud.

Of course, I JUST realized that I should not use any canister filter, as my tank is directly on the floor. I suppose that means I need to figure a bigger budget for tank upgades.

fineexampl

noob
Feb 21, 2009
Mount Laurel, NJ
Wow, I guess I am never going to decide without playing around with each model. Crud.

Of course, I JUST realized that I should not use any canister filter, as my tank is directly on the floor. I suppose that means I need to figure a bigger budget for tank upgades.
it's definitely trial/error vs. individual need. I used HOB prior to this and like them, but i find them too noisy.

chibikaie

AC Members
Nov 19, 2011
New England, USA
Really? Then again, my definition of "too noisy" is "rabbits banging empty food dishes in a transparent bid for breakfast," so in comparison none of the fish equipment is noisy to me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store