Pale Sword leaves with big holes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ramirez

AC Members
Oct 1, 2003
North Carolina
Visit site
For the past month two months, any new leaves put out by my swords have been small, pale, and with sizeable holes. In addition, the leaves sometimes look almost pink. My fast growing plants (Wisteria) are not having this problem.

At first I thought potassium, but these holes are much bigger than the K deficiency holes I see on plant pictures on the internet; plus I dose consistently with potassium.

I'm pretty sure this not a result of fish eating the leaves because they are very pale in addition to the holes, almost white.

I've tried root tabs for a couple of weeks, but no change. I have also noticed extremely reduced growth, with pale leaves, on my aponogeton.

Water parameters are pH 7.1-7.2, kH 3, nitrates measure 0 with an aquarium pharm test. I tested this twice on two different days. Could this be a nitrate deficiency? It's hard to believe with ~20 fish in a 55 gallon. I've been DIY CO2 injecting, but am still fiddling with my DIY apparatus for dissolving more CO2 in the water.

Of note, I'm currently having a signigicant BBA algae outbreak. I'm not sure if this is sucking up the nitrates along with my exploding Wisteria or not.

I know there are a lot of knowledgeable plant experts out there and I'm hoping you can give me some insight.

Thanks.

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
nitrates = 0 not good

I've had some similar problems with my swords, but not the white growth. I'm still working on it, but your nitrates are too low and that could be it with mine also. I add nitrates, but only once a week, and it may be that I need to do it more often. I started adding iron and turned off one light and one new leaf has come in better, not perfect, but better.

I am also wondering about a K overdose, as I made a fert pellet and added K to it. As a test I added on under only one sword, not the others, I'll see if that sword looks any different over the next few weeks.

But, your NO3 needs to be better than that. Feed more, add more fish, use less light, or add KNO3.

[edit] I changed water today and dosed the regular amount of KNO3, then after writing this decided to test the tank for NO3...zero. Um, I guess I know what has been going on in my tank now.... I stopped testing the water and keepiong records. OK, I've dosed 10ppm, after lightls out. I'll try to test again inthe AM to see if the tank has absorbed that too.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store