Good small fish to go with betta?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
So, I've had this betta for about 4 months now, and just had to move him out of his community aquarium because HE was being picked on! So, now I'm going to set up his own small tank for him, and the LFS guy told me I could put a few small fish in there with him. Any suggestions? I'm not sure how big it will be. Probably atleast 5 gal. Oh, and it won't have a heater, but the temperature shouldn't drop below 70. Post picts. if you can!

TabisFish

AC Members
Jan 21, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Real Name
Tabi Underwood
He really should have a heater. Beta's like it warm :(

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
If you go up to a 10 gallon, he could live with a small school of neon tetras, and some cherry shrimp- maybe a couple of otos. You'd need a heater, though, to keep the tank around 80 degrees. Even for the betta, they don't do well if the temp drops much below 75, and if it goes below 70, they become inactive and stop eating. They are very hardy fish, but also tropical, so need a heated environment.

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
I just learned something new! Hmmm... It might come with a heater. The reason for me not asking for any warm water fish, is that I've always kept bettas at room temperature! And they've always been fine. Of course, the light is on all day, so that probably keeps them a little warmer. The LFS guy just told me he'd be fine at that temperature though, and he's had fish for the past like 30-40 years! But, I will work on keeping him a little warmer. I'd still like suggestions for cold water fish though, just in case the temperature drops. Well, that and the LFS guy won't sell me any warm water fish for this, so...

tetramoon13

AC Members
Jun 14, 2006
Milton, NH
CPD's would be great, or Ember Tetras, if you can find them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store