Convicts?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MaiaDee

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Payson, AZ
Real Name
Maia
Can anyone tell me what kind of cichlids these are? I thought convict, but now I'm not sure. Thanks.

cichlids.jpg

cichlids.jpg

MaiaDee

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Payson, AZ
Real Name
Maia
After looking at every pic of striped cichlids in Africa that is on the interweb ;) we're thinking kenyii.

Thoughts?

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
Definitely not convicts. Probably some kind of African cichlid. But at that age, and with that pattern, they could be many species, including hybrids.

Probably not Kenyii, as the males don't turn yellow until they're more mature than these guys.

Where did you get them?

MaiaDee

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Payson, AZ
Real Name
Maia
Where did you get them?
They are from Walmart, so there was no point in asking them. I thought when I saw them convicts, but I'm obviously not very familiar with cichlids.

Also, in the pic, the one in the background look pinkish and s/he is actually much more purple/blueish.

Last edited:

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
If you got them from Walmart, they're what are known only as "Assorted African Cichlids". More often than not, they're hybrids. I actually have a few hybrid fry that were born in my 150g African Cichlid tank that look very similar to these guys.

MaiaDee

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Payson, AZ
Real Name
Maia
If you got them from Walmart, they're what are known only as "Assorted African Cichlids". More often than not, they're hybrids. I actually have a few hybrid fry that were born in my 150g African Cichlid tank that look very similar to these guys.
Huh. Really? How 'bout that. I had no idea that was possible. I guess I assumed that just as my Colombian tetras aren't going to breed with my white skirt tetras, that's how cichlids would be.
Is there general care info on hybrids? Would you say that hybrids are the fish equivalent of a mutt? :dog:

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
Hybrid and mutt are both terms that describe the same thing. An animal that was born from 2 different species crossbreeding.

Luckily, the care for most African Cichlids (of that variety, which look to be mbuna) is roughly the same. Nothing particularly special. Google caring for mbuna cichlids, or just use the care info you found when looking up Kenyiis, and you should be fine.

MaiaDee

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Payson, AZ
Real Name
Maia
OK, well they are cool looking little fish, although I don't know if I'd bought them if I had been aware of this whole hybrid thing.

So, if you don't mind, (and thank you for all the info you've already provided!) what do you think about if they breed? My local pet store would let me consign them if I maintain the tanks (don't ask....those people are a whole 'nother thread!). But, from the little I've googled, hybrids seem frowned upon. Should I (eek!) destroy any fry?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store