Gourami not playing nice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
I was so used to my old boy gourami being so sweet and nice. I got a female for him, but then he died on me...Moved that female out to the 110 after she got mean towards the betta.
So then I got her a male..she hates him. And is even picking fights with the 2 cichlids and the knife. Got a gold gourami and both gourami are being aholes. The new male doesn't bother the others too much, but doesn't like the new gold.

I'm guessing my good fish streak has ended, eh?
Anything I can do to get them to chill the heck out??
There's more than enough food, hiding places and general room for them all. I was going to get the Sunset or Honey, but they are so small, the dwarf also only comes in males.

Maybe my female isn't a female anymore?? I'll try and get good pics of them.
Gourami for the female is really spazy now, pics weren't easy. Gold went into hiding, won't see it for awhile.

*sigh* fish...

Last edited:

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
Bettas and gouramis are usually incompatible- they will usually fight. Gouramis can also be incompatible species with each other- especially if you already have 1 who has claimed a territory, and then try to add another who the established fish sees as invading its territory. What other species are you housing together? (specifically, what kinds of cichlids, and what kinds of gouramis?)

eth0s

AC Members
Mar 28, 2012
Sunsets are a color variation of Honeys (Trichogaster Chuna), but Thick Lipped Gourami (Trichogaster Labiosa) also have a sunset morph...so be careful. Also, I may be mistaken here, but I think there also other fish that have a "sunset" color morph.

I've not had any experience with the Thick Lipped Gourami, but I understand they get just a little larger than the Honeys, may be more aggressive as well. The Honeys are indeed small, and peaceful, but their passivity could be due to their diminutive stature. Mine has never bothered anyone, but would eat the RCS if he could fit them in his mouth. He will occasionally charge at them, only to stop abruptly and flare his fins. However...Honey males, like most Gourami males, don't get along with other male Gourami.

I'm confused by your description and can't tell for sure what gourami you have in there now... A gold gourami (male?) and a female (what species?).

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
I have a pair of Opaline Gourami. Female was moved into the 110g and a new male was added.
Today I added a Gold Gourami to the 110.

In the 110 is a 7-8in BGK, 2 BN plecos and a 1in and 1.5in Cichlids. What kind? I don't know, they bred when I had a mix of Mbuna. Sold all the adults and these two went under the radar. They are not aggressive and run away from the big Opaline female. That female attacks every fish, even the 7-8in Knife. One day, I hope the Knife will just eat her and I won't have an issue...

Pics in a sec, had PC issues...

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
Female is the lighter color, male is smaller w/longer fin and dark.

Male Opaline.

Pair.

Gold, should be female.

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
She was fine with him, then he suddenly died. He had gone through a lot of turmoil in his little life, but showed no issues before I found him just dead.
Waited a few days and then brought in a male Betta. She went right at him when she realized he needs to eat, too.
Then I got a new little male, biggest and most active they had, put both in the 110. But she continued to terrorize her tank mates. Shes learned to back off when I show up at the tank, as I net her or tap the glass to break up the fight. Other fish just watch me and then beg for food.

Original male only got aggressive when a bubble maker was introduced, but I took that out again once I realized that is what was causing his temper. There are/were no bubbles in the other tank nor this one.

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
Moved my adult Rainbow shark into the 110, he is finding his place in the tank. But good thing is, he's going the other fish a distraction to their bickering.

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
He's giving the other*

All three Gourami have chilled out, but now the shark is being a butthead to my knife..hm..

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
Here is an old pic of the now in fish heaven Opaline male, and my 3yr Mr rainbow shark below him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store