What's your personal philosophy on discus-keeping ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Just for a change of pace, I thought this might make for an interesting discussion.

Here's a listing of my personal preferences:

I've kept discus for many years, but.....

- I've only kept discus a couple of times in a bare-bottom tank. I dislike the sterile-looking environment of BB, and have always preferred raising/keeping them in a planted environment, as I feel they look that much better in a planted/display tank setting.

I also like the challenge of maintaining a healthy planted aquascape in the higher discus temps, and the TLC and attention it takes to successfully grow out discus under those conditions. The effort it takes to maintain the clean, high quality water conditions in this type of set-up is very satisfying to me.

- I have bred discus, but I can't seem to be bothered going that extra mile trying to grow out fry successfully. Having said that, I admire those who do breed discus, and successfully raise healthy, good-looking fry for resale.

- I don't care for huge, dinner plate sized discus, because I have an addiction to getting small juvies of different varieties/ colorations, growing them out to around 6", and selling them off so that I can then get other juvie strains that I haven't kept before.

- Ive never kept wild discus, but I definitely want to do so, some day, and I'm sure I will. Again, I admire discus-keepers who keep wilds, and I love their colorations & types, not to mention the extra little challenges it takes to keep them successfully.

Anybody else have any thoughts/comments on this topic ?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I've kept discus in bare bottom for growout then moved them into planted tanks. I personally like the look of the planted tanks.

I also do the higher maint on the discus growout but not so much so on the planted tanks.. I do keep the tanks at 82-84,

btw even in bare bottom I add stucture(driftwood etc)
My discs won't hit the dinner plate sized and to me they are med-large at about 6" but others tell me they are big..

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Absolutely nothing wrong with 6" - that's a good size for discus. My personal preference is they not get any larger than that - otherwise they may start to look like they could be good for dinner - lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store