Is 3 years old for a Betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
3 years is the average life span of a properly cared for betta. i've read about a betta or two that got to be five/six years.

Windy

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Theed Palace on Naboo
Real Name
Lazaro
Bettas normally live 2-3 years. There are some bettas that make to 5-6 years of age and very very rarely some people have kept bettas for 9 years. Again, that is very very rare.

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
If you'd had your betta for 3 years and you bought it at a pet store, chances are that he's older than 3 years old. Congrats, you've probably passed more than 95% of bettas lives!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
3-4 is what I've normally got out of them, and like said above when bought it was already probably atleast 4 months old.

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
I find longevity in fish in general an interesting topic as I don't see how it would be possible to arrive at" normal" for a wild fish. longevity of any creature is related to metabolism which is related to temps particularly with cold blooded animals. note the remarkable life spans of turtles for example??
First I suspect most fish don't live Normal life spans particularly tropical fish from predation to ambient bacterial levels at warmer temps.etc .etc. bettas have all these things going against longevity but I personally had one live over 5 years. but average was 2/3 years Had a goldfish that was 22 when swept away by a flood . while all the other ones added lived no more than 5 to the same pool.
Curious as to how you're keeping your Betta?? To me it seems logical that they would live longer in larger, cleaner environments though I'll admit that I have seen them live in pint jars for comparable lengths of time.
From working in a pet shop I'd say you're WAY above average!! Congrats!!! gary

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store