White cloudiness in tank...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dozer

AC Members
Mar 23, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Hey hey heyyyyy...

I"m new to this forum, and come with a question...

I just got in from school and went to my room to check out the 10 gallon I've been workin' on, all I've done was added water and put in a little pump ( not a filter ) to move the water around a bit ( actually, I put it in 'cause i like the sound of the water, but besides that fact :p ). Anyways, I had a spare light hangin' around, so I popped it over the tank and I think its about 15-20 watts and took two clippings from my 20 gallon and popped them into the Flourite. The water is NOT treated with anything as of yet, its just tap water and truely I haven't started cycling it yet. Problem is, theres a white, milky layer forming on the glass and its seen gettin' punked around by the pump in the open water areas. I ran my hand along the inside where I found this cloudy stuff and as I ran my hand and fingers along the glass, it started to build up and it became quite noticable, but then dispersed into the tank from the current.

I dont know what it is... the tank has completly cleared of the murkiness from the substrate, but this white s**t is still noticable.

There is two things that I just realized that I may have screwed up on that may have contributed to this problem.

1. The clipings ( amazon sword and those long stringy like plants , val. somethin' ) came from a tank that had an algae boom over the last week.

2. One of the main rocks I totally forgot to clean out, in all the excitment of scapin' the 10 gallon, I forgot to clean one rock.

Can it be on of these two factors that contributes to the milky film on glass of the inside of the tank?

Also, the substrate for the tank is a bottom layer of vermiculite and a layer on top of that which is Flourite mixed with a bit of gravel, all three substrate were heavily rinsed before actually put into the tank.

Any ideas... :shake:

Thanks,

Mike

Dozer

AC Members
Mar 23, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
could it be just murkiness that the vermilculite may have caused that hasn't settled yet? tearing the thing down again just seem slike a pain in the neck, but if worse comes to worse, so be it...

Mike

DrDanke

AC Members
Mar 11, 2004
Visit site
I just experienced something like this with my new 10 gallon tank. My problem was that I stuck a porcelain sea shell in the tank that was holding something. Stay on the safe side. Only put things in the tank that were made for aquariums. I wouldn't even think about taking a rock from outside and sticking it in my tank. I consulted with one of my aquarium friends, and he stated that he had all kinds of water trouble when he was messing with rocks from outdoors. The best luck he had was using rocks that originated underwater at a lake, and those he boiled in water for a long time to kill bacteria.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store