What cichlids?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
What cichlids can I keep in a 29g and how many? :huh:
There are numerous different cichlids that could go in A 29. It would depend on which one u chose as to how many you could house. Would it be planted? African or south American cichlids? You need to narrow it down a bit.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
A majority of the south american dwarf cichlids can be kept in a 29. There are some African cichlids that can be kept in a 29, but you have to be more selective. Also some of the smaller more peaceful Central American cichlids may work.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
I wish I could help, but I am curious about this.

Also, how to you pronounce cichlids? I never really looked at how it was spelled and I used to always thing like a chinchilla for some reason.

Neatfish

AC Members
May 1, 2012
My Bat Cave somwhere in TX
The tank is empty but it might get planted. I like the yellow ones, red zebras,Yellow Tail Acel. I guess bright colors.

Europian

AC Members
Mar 29, 2009
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Ian Mills
I currently have two 29g tanks which I keep African cichlids in - as my water is ideal for them.

I've kept a Tanganyikan tank with Lamprologus Ocellatus "Gold" (Shell Dwellers) and Julidochromis Transcriptus (Rock Dwellers) - A sand substrate with shells on the one side and rocks on the other - the combination worked well and both groups of fish bred (I also swapped the Ocellatus with N. Multifascaitus). I started with 8 shell dwellers and 6 transcriptus - and re-homed the extras.

Recently I swapped that one to fish from Lake Victoria - I have 2 male/6 female Pundamilla Nyererei but I'll probably reduce to 1M/4F if I get aggression problems.

In the other tank I'm trying a dwarf Mbuna from lake Malawi, Pseudotropheus Saulosi. I currently have 9 of them with one fully colored male. I'd like to get down to 1M/5F but they are still a bit too young to sex.

I think as a first tank, the Shell/Rock dweller combination would work the best - and was my favorite tank for quite a while.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I wish I could help, but I am curious about this.

Also, how to you pronounce cichlids? I never really looked at how it was spelled and I used to always thing like a chinchilla for some reason.
Sick-Lids.

Neatfish

AC Members
May 1, 2012
My Bat Cave somwhere in TX
Thanks.^^ i would like some that look like this. I'm going to put maybe black or white sand in the tank and maybe some nice big pond rocks.

Europian

AC Members
Mar 29, 2009
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Ian Mills
I was in the same situation, I wanted colorful cichlids for my 29g - after doing research I found that the P. Saulosi would be the best option to try.

The females are yellow and the males are blue with black vertical bars - I started with 15 3/4" fry in January - I recently removed 6 of them so now have 9.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store