Aquarium Filtration Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Robert_eb

Registered Member
Mar 23, 2004
Detroit Area
Visit site
I currently own the Eheim Ecco 2233 Canister filter for an 40-45 gallon aquarium. I currently just use an carbon filter pad and the coarse pads. I like to begin using Ehfimech & Ehfisubstrat media.

Will the Ehfimech & Ehfisubstrat media make a difference in filtration?

How often to you replace this type of media?

From what I read, you can just rinse it off and re-use it. How many times can you rinse and re-use?

Thanks.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
I posed a related question on the DIY forum a few weeks ago, Look for "AC 500 Brainstorm" What I was told was the the efhisubstrate will only last a given amount of time because the pores which the bactria grows in will eventually fill up with dead bacteria, at that time someone suggested the efhimec as an alternative despite the fact that it doen't have as much surface area for bacteria when new, it will not plug up over time and reduce its ability to work. From what I was told either of these is an excellent media so other than cost there isn't a down side to using them.

Will the Ehfimech & Ehfisubstrat media make a difference in filtration?
IMO and IME it is nearly impossible to have too much bio-filtration or mechanicle filtration. I would say yes they will help, how much you notice will depend on how close the bio-load is to the limits on you current filtration. This is not to say that another form of added media wouldn't serve you just as well, only that adding more bio-media is never a bad idea IMO

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store