Frontosa

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cowgrl4life

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
Fort Scott, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Carissa
I think this is the right place to put questions on Fronts. I'm looking at getting a few of these and would appreciate if someone could chime in on an Approx. Growth rate for Juveniles and any other advice/information I can gather. I heard it rumored they will not start spawning until around 5yrs of age, is this correct? And would I be right in thinking that in the long run a minimum tank size is probably a 125 gallon?

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
Only thing I can offer in regards to growth rate is that you play a big role in it. Tank maintenance, good feeding and filtration factor in along with what will happen almost naturally.

Cowgrl4life

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
Fort Scott, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Carissa
I know that water quality and feeding plays a huge role, but after hearing (though I'm not sure yet if its true) that they dont begin to spawn until 5years old I didn't know if they naturally were a slow growing fish that took the whole five years to reach a mature size

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
All I know is that they are very slow growers and that they may reach full maturity around the 4th year of age. IMO you are also correct about the 125gal as the minimum tank size. Pittbull and Razzo are Fronts guys here; I hope they will say something about this.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Frontosa do grow slow as with most Tanganyika fish, Thats why i feed high protein foods to help them to grow a little bit faster than normal, the maturity rate for Frontosa is usually year 4 to year 5 just as with anything in life nothing is guaranteed. As for growth rate usually at age 4 males should be around 9" and females around 6 to 7" of course they grow a lot bigger more of 15"

A 125gal should be good for a young colony to start out with..

Cowgrl4life

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
Fort Scott, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Carissa
My hope was to start a group of 4-6 Juveniles (no more than 3") in a 55 gallon and as they grow over the years upgrading the tank until reaching an optimum size. Is this an OK plan?
And on that note, I am a water changing NUT so water quality isn't an issue, its whether or not this is spacious enough to start with

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
They like large groups. They would probably be okay. But I wouldn't do it I wouldn't do that few in that small a tank but that is me

Sent from my SCH-I405 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Cowgrl4life

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
Fort Scott, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Carissa
Ok. I got my first two today, with more on order for next week. They are no bigger than 1 1/2 inches each so my plan is to start in a smaller tank and grow with them. I dont see how there would be any problem as long as I monitor agression, water peramaters, and size and upgrade accordingly. I cant see how its bad to start 1 1/2 inch fish in a 55 Gallon especially since they are slow growers! LOL

Cowgrl4life

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
Fort Scott, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Carissa
Just wanted to put up a couple pictures of the ones I got today. They are temporarily in a 10 gal. Which will actually help show you how small they are!
Baby Front.JPGBaby Front1.JPGBaby Front2.JPG

Baby Front.JPG Baby Front1.JPG Baby Front2.JPG

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
The sooner a normal colony size is established, in a tank way bigger than they need, the aggression issues mute significantly and they form the colony. Even though slow growing, their nature calls for a excessively big tank for grow out, IMO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store