The Birds!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Here are pics of my conure, Prometheus and our new roomie, Squeakers. Squeakers is an eclectus parrot from Australia.

Prometheus

Squeakers

A friend couldn't care for Squeakers any more and gave him to me with a monster cage. He's very tame, though a little nervous being in a new place without his mommy.

So far he and Prometheus get along...

Mark

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
They're lovely!

Sent from my Droid using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
good heavens, what a beak on that Squeaker fellow! I'm glad he is a Good Boy as it appears he could take off your hand with a casual munch or a poorly-aimed grab for food. :)

best of luck with both the birdies. I have a friend who keeps several, all South American or African. (I didn't know they HAD parrots in Australia, tells ya what an expert I am.) She makes a special food for them she calls Bird Bread, if you like I can get you the recipe. Cornmeal, flour, some vegetables mixered up, peanut butter, various seeds etc.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Hey Mark just a heads up on the Eclectus. In the wild they eat a much different diet than other hard bill Parrots, so try to mix in as much vegetables as possible. If he's anything like my birds as long as you eat it he'll probably want to as well!

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Hey Mark just a heads up on the Eclectus. In the wild they eat a much different diet than other hard bill Parrots, so try to mix in as much vegetables as possible. If he's anything like my birds as long as you eat it he'll probably want to as well!

I give fresh fruits and veggies every day, John. I've had Prometheus since he was six months old and he's been with me for over 7 yrs now. Squeakers was rescued from a household that didn't keep his cage clean and all he ate was seed mix. My friend has health probs and couldn't take care of him any more and she'd been trying to get him to eat veggies but had no luck.

Since he's come home with me he's trying apples, grapes and cherries. He's nibbled corn and spinach but isn't wild about it. Yesterday he was playing with a carrot stick but I don't think he sampled it. lol

I've found over the years to just keep giving the new foods to them and eventually curiousity overcomes their timidness.

Yesterday he spent my whole lunch hour on my shoulder, watching me make then eat lunch. He nibbled some wheat bread.

He'd never been given pellet and now gets it every day along with oat groats and other cereals. Prometheus has been getting all these things since day 1 and Squeakers sees him eating it so maybe Prom has a positive impact on him.

Mark

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
Beautiful birds! I love parrots they're like having dogs with feathers,lol. I had a parrot many years
ago, he was all green, can't remember the type. I think they're very sweet pets. Almost took an
African Grey from a friend but somone else in our dog club took him,haha, good thing too the bird curses up a storm!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I give fresh fruits and veggies every day, John. I've had Prometheus since he was six months old and he's been with me for over 7 yrs now. Squeakers was rescued from a household that didn't keep his cage clean and all he ate was seed mix. My friend has health probs and couldn't take care of him any more and she'd been trying to get him to eat veggies but had no luck.

Since he's come home with me he's trying apples, grapes and cherries. He's nibbled corn and spinach but isn't wild about it. Yesterday he was playing with a carrot stick but I don't think he sampled it. lol

I've found over the years to just keep giving the new foods to them and eventually curiousity overcomes their timidness.

Yesterday he spent my whole lunch hour on my shoulder, watching me make then eat lunch. He nibbled some wheat bread.

He'd never been given pellet and now gets it every day along with oat groats and other cereals. Prometheus has been getting all these things since day 1 and Squeakers sees him eating it so maybe Prom has a positive impact on him.

Mark
Monkey see monkey do isn't just for us monkeys!

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Beautiful parrots Mark! Someday I'd like to get back into keeping birds again. Actually, I'm probably going to have chickens next. I eat enough eggs I'd be a fool not to get some!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store