root canal :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ssuchem13

Tower Tank Master
Oct 4, 2011
chicagoland
Real Name
Eric
well ive been kinda busy, started a new job, but about a week ago i started getting tooth pain. so went to the dentist today and turns out i need a root canal. im kinda nervous about it. anyone here have one done? did it hurt alot. the dentist also gave me some Vicodin until i can get in for the surgery. it helps but i do feel a bit out of it, no pain atleast. im just hoping its not too big of a deal.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I had it twice back in the late 70s. First one was pretty painful, but the second one wasn't nearly as bad. Good luck!

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I have had 3....in my younger days....lol. I didn't think they were bad. Having my wisdom teeth out was 10 times worse.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
Really depends on the dentist. The procedure isn't so bad. Its the recovery. I had two. Both times didn't need pain meds after the first day.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Pain or lack depends on you and the oral surgeon. I'd not let a general practice dentist do one. Less so if they were eager to do it.

Beware the Vicodin. It's acetaminophen and hydrocodone in one pill. Over dosing on acetaminophen is too easy and causes kidney damage.

ssuchem13

Tower Tank Master
Oct 4, 2011
chicagoland
Real Name
Eric
Pain or lack depends on you and the oral surgeon. I'd not let a general practice dentist do one. Less so if they were eager to do it.

Beware the Vicodin. It's acetaminophen and hydrocodone in one pill. Over dosing on acetaminophen is too easy and causes kidney damage.
yeah im doing some shopping around for speciallists. and yeah im trying to not rely too much on the vicodin but i honestly couldnt take enough motrin to dull the pain, im a pretty big guy and im on one every 6-8 hrs so im not too worried about it. believe me as a chemist and one w3ith some pharma learning i look into all my meds, its really only bad when u go above 2000mg a day. which is like 5+ a day. and thankfully its just temporary till i can get the surgery done.

AaronMB

AC Members
Mar 17, 2012
Fresno, CA
Real Name
Aaron
You were only prescribed the pain killer? No antibiotics?

-If you're in a lot of pain and you really do need a root canal, it will be good when it's done... There's nothing quite like extreme tooth pain to give one a basis for comparison! The pain before is worse than after; I didn't need any sort of pain killers, afterwards.

-If you do get a root canal, don't put off the permanent crown they will eventually need to put over it.

-If it isn't your regular dentist a second opinion may be a good thing - root canals and the crowns that follow are big bucks.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
My little brother had one done. If he got through it with a normal dentist, you can get through it. There was something wrong with his and it had to be fixed, so even more pain. If you have an orthodontist that is not like mine (just grabs and yanks if something needs to come off or out) then I would go to him or her to have it done. It might cost more but it might be less painful.

Semilla

AC Members
Jun 2, 2012
Madison, WI
Real Name
Semilla
No, definitely see an oral surgeon. A root canal is not a normal extraction. For grab-and-yank style extraction, sure regular dentist. This is surgery.
Have you seen the xray? That's really the only way to know how bad is will be.

Sent from my SCH-R930 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chickadee

Snail addict
Dec 26, 2010
Traverse City, MI
Had mine done by an endodontist. They had a TV on the ceiling to watch. No pain at all - they shot me up with so much anesthetic I couldn't feel my entire face. The only uncomfortable part was laying there with that rubber thing holding my mouth open, otherwise not a big deal. But I was glad to have it over with.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store