Uggh virus! I knew my luck would run out someday...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Well, it's been a bad week. The phone line (yes, I still have a landline ;)) is not working...the repairman should be here first thing in the morning. I figured that was why the internet was going so slow and I was having to reload all the time (for some reason, even though it's DSL and dependent on the phone line, it's still working even though I can't get a dialtone?) however there is a new issue...

It seems I have the partner 37 mydomainadvisor virus. Everything I've read online about removing discusses manual removal, with "random.exe" being the target of removal in various locations. I figure this is just another way of saying ______.exe because, of course, there is no random.exe.

Does anyone know of a virus tool that can actually remove this virus? I'm willing to pay for an anti-virus program, it sure beats having to replace the hard drive. I am currently using a lot of freeware, AVG, Malwarebytes, etc.

I've never had a virus before, in over 10 years of internet use...so I've been lucky, but I knew this day would come sooner or later :(

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
If you can't find a tool to dig it out, or a tech geek that will go into your registry files and dig it out manually, you DO NOT have to replace the HD. You can do a HD reformat, and reload windows- good as new... literally. Reformatting and reloading is actually pretty easy, as well. The only time you have to replace a HD is when they fail. Otherwise, just wiping them & starting over does the trick. You'll lose your saved files, and etc... but, tis the price one pays when getting a nasty virus. Try to use the comp as little as possible while you look for someone to fix it, though. The longer the comp runs, the more damage the virus can do. So sorry this happened, and good luck!

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Some malware or viruses can find their way onto a partition of the hdd saved for re installing the os or for a backup of certain files. So simply wiping the hdd may not do the trick in all cases. This is something that excusseme knows more about than I do. Idk if I spelled his username correct or not.
Sent from my LG-LS840 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
A virus that loads into the BIOS is SUPER rare- usually doing a full wipe, not OS repair, will 9.5 times out of 10 take care of business. You can flash your BIOS, too- and if it is dug in there really deep- there's a chip on the MOBO that you can replace to get a clean BIOS... depending on your skill level. If you have a BIOS virus, replacing the HD won't kill it... it isn't in the HD, if that's the case. Again, running into those is ridiculously uncommon, though. I'm pretty sure Platy is looking at your run of the mill malicious net annoyance, here.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Well, I just ran Kaspersky's TDSS killer (a rootkit removing tool) upon the recommendation of a friend. It found 6 threats that my other anti-virus software did not detect. Apparently the whole root of the problem was this piece of crap:
http://download.cnet.com/Anti-Phishing-Domain-Advisor/3000-18510_4-75328606.html#rateit
I found it during a Task Manager scan.

Please, everyone...be careful downloading from CNET! I sort of recently did get something from there, I don't even remember what - it was probably about a month ago - however, I'm sure this is where I got it from. Maybe not this virus itself, but the particular malware listed above was what opened me up to it. The other time I tried downloading from CNET, the Blekko toolbar got downloaded without my permission and replaced Google Chrome as my default browser...grr...

Jamie, thanks for all your suggestions! I think everything is ok now, though :)

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
Yeah- almost ALL of the shareware out there for pop-ups, antivirus, etc etc etc are loaded down with their own versions of spyware. It kinda sucks. It's how they stay free, though. They view it as advertising. You can find a fair share in odd places on the net, too- like I got hit with one when looking at a recipe on a cooking site... another one was when looking at a pic from google images of a garden plan. Just make sure your comp. is armed to the teeth, and keep all of your security settings on high alert. You'd be surprised how much crap you have going on in there that you don't know about, and where it came from.

So glad you're sorted out now- and YW! Let us know if you're still having problems in a couple of days. :D

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
A virus that loads into the BIOS is SUPER rare- usually doing a full wipe, not OS repair, will 9.5 times out of 10 take care of business. You can flash your BIOS, too- and if it is dug in there really deep- there's a chip on the MOBO that you can replace to get a clean BIOS... depending on your skill level. If you have a BIOS virus, replacing the HD won't kill it... it isn't in the HD, if that's the case. Again, running into those is ridiculously uncommon, though. I'm pretty sure Platy is looking at your run of the mill malicious net annoyance, here.
I was talking about the recovery partition on most pre built computers. Never said she had one on it, but thought I would mention it.

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
I was talking about the recovery partition on most pre built computers. Never said she had one on it, but thought I would mention it.

Oh, LOL, I didn't know they came with those. All 5 of them here are home built. Well, except the laptop, but, I wasn't including that one. When you reformat the HDs we have, it wipes everything and then you have to repartition and reload everything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store