What filter would you pick?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
So I am looking at getting a new canister filter for my 125g turtle tank, so I can use the current one on my 75g tank. I see people have been having good luck with these filters off of ebay. So I was looking at either the Perfect canister filter, shown here but maybe not the UV lamp, http://www.ebay.com/itm/NICE-TROPIC...059?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231fc524c3

Or I was looking at Odyssea canister filter rated for a 200g tank or higher.

What would you pick? Are they any good? Any cons?

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
Only canister I would really want is a Eheim.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
After having both of the filters you listed...not being happy....deciding to try eheim....I can honestly say I will never buy another kind of canister. Easy to set up, works incredibly, long time between cleanings. I have 3 and love them.

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
stephcps, thank you for letting me know that you had no luck with them. Just curious what issues did you have?

I do have on my 125g right now a Rena XP3 and LOVE it. I have one eheim on a smaller tank but had issues with it since the first time I clean it were it leaks and I can not figure out how to stop it.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I jsut never got the filtration I wanted from them. The sunsun (or perfect) was the better of the 2 because I could more easily customize the media. I had both on my 125 plus an aquaclear HOB 110. Was never really satisfied and had to clean them all the time or the flow would drop to nothing. Replaced all of those with 2 eheim 2217. Wow, what a difference!!

I had trouble setting up my newest eheim...I found their customer service to be outstanding. I would contact them about your leak.

I have a couple of renas that I have kept as back-ups. I also liked them...but I LOVE the eheims....lol

P.S. I will say the sunsun (perfect) I thought was very well made. The odyssea I thought was pretty cheap. If you search reviews of those filters in this forum you will find some by members here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store