Betta Tommy has white stuff under mouth,belly,fins and eyes seems puffed.HELP!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TommyBetta

AC Members
Jul 19, 2012
Pictures were taken today IMAG1789.jpgIMAG1797.jpg IMAG1802.jpg

Since my daughter is fascinated with fish we decided to get a Betta fish - Now our happy Tommy got very sick! Last weekend we went out of town and left him with friends, when we got back wasn't eating, had clamped fins and hiding in his little cave. I remember when got him from Petsmart 3 weeks ago he had a white long string hanging out of his body that came off and the very tip of his lower fin was white, not sure if the store sold him sick! It is our first time having fish as pet! After some research realised was making a lot of mistakes like over feeding, no filter, small tank, so on. Yesterday we got Tommy a 5.5 gallons tank with a filter( not using cartridge for now) and applied Betta revive and aquarium salt. He eating and swimming again but cannot get rid off this white coat on his body, under mouth and fins. The pour thing has not made bubbles nest since got sick! today I notice his eyes are puffed (see second pic):( I've been changing everyday 1 gallon water and added more Betta revive, aquarium salt,conditioner and also got yesterday Stress Coat, no heater but thermometer is around 80 F. It is the 6th day with Betta Revive the white coat specially under his mouth, belly and eyes aren't geting better, afraid it is getting worse. I am working so hard to get this fellow in shape again. I want to change his med, do total water change,clean tank, put the filter cartridge for while to clean the old medicine and replace for Maracyn and Maracyn one. But I am worry to cause more harm the healing! Please Does anyone know about Maracyn or have any sugestion? Do you have any input for me? We really need HELP! Let us make Tommy happy again! thank you very much!

IMAG1789.jpg IMAG1797.jpg IMAG1802.jpg

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
If you are using cartridges in the filter, it may contain carbon which could neutralize the medication. What you are describing sounds like "Chilodonella", which is a parasite and can be treated with salt. Another alternative is potassium permagante, copper, malachite green. All these are very harsh medicines and have the possibility to kill the fish. This is one case where either way you might lose the fish. Malachite green is available in a medication called "Quick Cure" and make sure there are no other fish or inverts in the tank. It will kill them. Follow directions on bottle exactly and it is advisable to wear gloves when dosing. If it gets on your skin, it will stain it and you will have to wait for it to wear off (about 2-3 days). You can get copper in Seachem Cupramine and is about the safest form of copper to use. In alll cases use carbon at end of treatment to remove medication from water plus do a 90% water change.

TommyBetta

AC Members
Jul 19, 2012
I appreciate your info! The med I've been using for 6 days Betta Revive has malachate green however instruction said to stop it after 7 days using . I found Cure Quick, but it seems it can be fatal to Betta, someone told me I should leave the Betta no longer than 1 hour with this med! am so hesitate to cause him harm. Do u have any experience with any of this medications in Betta? Is any thing less harmful to him? Have you heard about General Cure? They say it is for parasites too.
I saw pics of ich that looks a little bit with his condition. Do you think it could be ich? In this case I believe one of this med would work too, right?
Thank you so much for your time and information! It is really great have people like you! God bless you!

TommyBetta

AC Members
Jul 19, 2012
Also I have been using aquarium salt for 6 days too ( 1/2 tea spoon for gallon) but found out that shouldn't be used for more than 10 days.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
ich will look like salt has been sprinkled on the fish. what you are describing 'white fuzzy stuff' is not ich.

my personal experience with betta revive is that it works best when you do a 100% water change and re-medicate for the full tank volume. i've used revive many a time with success for fin rot, but have not used it for symptoms you describe.

TommyBetta

AC Members
Jul 19, 2012
Hi, Betta Revive definitely helped him. I changed 100% water first 2 days and 20% for 5 days while using Betta Revive. However cannot be use for more than 7 days per direction . I have to stop this med since it already the 7th day of treatment.He is very active eating, swimming and dancing. He still with white patches (not fuzzy) around gills, fin and few on his body .

TommyBetta

AC Members
Jul 19, 2012
Looking for a different medication. I don't know if should give 2 or 3 days to clean out system before start Parasite medication. Meanwhile I am thinking about put Aquarisol in water, keeping changing 20% water, getting a heater and measure water for nitrate.

TommyBetta

AC Members
Jul 19, 2012
Not sure it I should keep putting aquarium salt with Aquarisol. Any idea? Also heard cannot use aquarium salt for more than 10 days can hurt his kidneys?

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I can't specifically speak to betta, as my only experience with them was with some fin rot. However, if the fish is overall better, which from what you posted sounds like he is, I would personally stop meds totally for a couple of days and see what happens. I would do daily large water changes 50% at least and watch him closley. meds can be very hard on them. If he is improved, he may continue to do so.

TommyBetta

AC Members
Jul 19, 2012
I agree with u! I will do that. I am thinking about cleaning his aquarium and start with fresh water,put cartridge filter back.Also get a heater. It is around 80 F in his tank during day, (we leave in Fl) but tempeture may fluctuate at night since I turn off his light to sleep and our A/C runs around 76 degree at night . Thank u very much.God bless all of u! Long life to our fish! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store