Convict Fry

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aussie pride

AC Members
Jun 21, 2010
Well I originally had a pair of Apisto. Sp. 'Steel Blue' and a few neons but apparently they came from bad stock because the apistos didn't last too long and the neons all developed fungus and tumors. A few months ago one of my mates offered me a heap of convict fry (12) so I took them and this is what they look like now. They were all around 1/4 - 1/2" when I first got them and now the biggest is a male at 3.5" and still, there are no pairs. I've got a mate taking a few pairs when they eventually pair up and I'll be moving the remainders into my 135g. They get fed small feeds 3 times a day of a few different cichlid pellets, Tetra tropical colour granules, frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms, freeze-dried blackworms, DIY frozen food and the occasional peas with one day a week with no feedings. I do 50% W/C every 10 days and its filtered by an Aqua-One internal power filter rated for 70L (18g) and the water is kept at 25*C. Well, here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7AnXwi9UNs&feature=relmfu
Cheers, Caleb

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
orange stomach female
plain stomach ( no orange at all ) male

18 gallon is kinda small for all those convicts, maybe they feel stressed that they dont have enough room? i use to be a big convict guy.. what i would do is, get one male, 2 females and put them in the bigger tank, and the male should pick its male, then take out the other female and bingo, you should have a pair :)

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
as many convicts as i dealt with and bred ( ask many on MFK about me ) i have never seen a male with a orange stomach.. not saying it could happen, but just my experience.

aussie pride

AC Members
Jun 21, 2010
orange stomach female
plain stomach ( no orange at all ) male

18 gallon is kinda small for all those convicts, maybe they feel stressed that they dont have enough room? i use to be a big convict guy.. what i would do is, get one male, 2 females and put them in the bigger tank, and the male should pick its male, then take out the other female and bingo, you should have a pair :)
All of the breeding sized cons are definite males (plain stomach, koks, longer fins) but there are still a few that are too young to be accurately sexed. I would try that tank thing if I wasn't border-line sending my olds broke from the power bill :evil_lol:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store