anyone know anything about turtles?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
I'm thinking about turning my 40 breeder into a riparium for some kind of aquatic turtle (probably a mud) plus a few fast small fish like danios and some livebearers (probably platies).

the tank has 2 sunsun canister filters for filtration, and will have also have asorted plants, plus an out-of-water basking spot. water depth is about 13-14" with the substrate in there, probably closer to 14".

anyone know if this setup would work for a stinkpot or two? or is there a better suited species? I would be looking to get them as close to full grown as possible, probably.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
I have a 40B with a RES that is a yr old. He shares the tank with a pair of White Convicts that breed every few weeks. I am filtering it with a H.O.T Magnum. I am not having any issues at all.

Cards18d

AC Members
Apr 5, 2012
A single mud or musk (not giant musks) would be fine in there. But make sure to include driftwood, large rocks, etc. to allow them to climb to the surface (they're not the best swimmers).

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
anyone have any ideas of where I might be able to aquire these guys?

any specific species suggestions? I have taking a liking to razorback musks, but am still open to other ideas.

also, would 2 (razorbacks or some other species) be okay in a 40g long-term? I'd love to have 2 to see them interact.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I keep Mud and Musk turtles and a 40 gallon breeder is fine for one for life. They aren't really good swimmers and are mostly bottom walkers so give them plenty of things to explore and crawl on. Make sure you have something for them to rest on at the surface like floating plants (real or fake). They rarely if ever bask but I have a male Stinkpot who basks for a few hours every day while his mate never does. Keeping the tank free of substrate makes it much easier to clean.

Turtles don't need friends and actually having additional turtles in that small of a tank can cause stress. Also there's a good chance of injury during feeding time. Plus males kept with other males will fight and females kept with males can become constantly harassed by the breeding attempts of the male. But...Mud and Musks are usually good with fish so you can try to add a few danios or a small Cichlid or two.

You can find some for sale on Faunaclassifieds.com or Kingsnake.com in the classified section.

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
alright, if I do get a turtle I'll probs go for one of the more interesting mud or musks and keep it with some smaller fish (thinking maybe a mixed group of smaller, fast moving fish who wont harass it, like tetras and danios, plus maybe one or two larger "showpieces".

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Small, scrappy cichlids like Convicts and Jewels work great with these types of turtles. I currently keep a male Paratilapia polleni with my Stinkpot pair and he does great with them but they are in a 100 gallon tank.

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
would the turtle be okay with a bunch of small fish? I was thinking a group of cardinals, some danios, possibly a few black skirt tetras, and then maybe try a bolivian ram or three or maybe a dwarf gourami for a centerpiece.

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
so I've decided if I do get a turtle it will be a razorback musk. I'm going to try to find an adult but if I cant I'll get the largest juvenile I can find. I'm going to try to keep smaller fish with it (schooling species). I'm sort of going to be modeling the tank after this one in terms of tankmates but obviously with only one turtle and probably with more plants/driftwood instead of rocks for the caves:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKGg8LvKEac&feature=related

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Yes, I use to keep Giant Danios with mine and they did great and actually bred all the time in the tank. Just remember that turtles are very messy animals and they can turn the water quality poor very quickly if you do not have good filtration. This can pose a risk to non-hardy fish species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store