Betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Oh joy... my sister acquired a male betta. So basically, this is a from bad to worse situation. I would as that you not rage at my sister, she's not exactly capable of thinking things through.

So, here's where it starts: The betta is a larg-ish red0ish male beta, very beautiful fish for now. He's in what seems to be about a half gallon cube with an LED light and a stupid skull as the only decor. Besides that, she dumped it and all the water from the it's little store container strait into full on tap water :)wall:). Then she proceeded to overfeed it and leave it in her room for like 2 days without care. Now she's going over my mom's house and I'm coming over to my dads (where the fish is located), and I'm stuck caring for it. Joy Joy Joy. :headshake2:

I have no way to possibly even remotely do a water change tonight (unless you're fine with more strait tap water) because I wasn't told until like five minutes before I left my moms house (where all my tanks are located). So I'm trying to catch some rain water during a thunderstorm to see if I can manage a water change with it while asking my dad to pick up a bottle of conditioner from my moms house tomorrow evening when he drives by.

Here is what I plan for the betta (and I already have my dads permission for after we get rid of my cat): 20 gallon long, HOB Canister Filter, Heavily Planted, Sand Substrate, T8 Lighting. Tank will NOT be getting anything more then a 25% WC every 2 -4 weeks because of my dad's phobia of anything that lives and isn't human. I'm banking on the heavy planting an good filtration to handle a 1.5in male betta.

So, this is going to be, basically, a story thread. I didn't want the betta. I don't need a betta. I have other fish I need to care for. But I'm stuck with a betta, so I just have to live with it. Wish me luck, I'll keep you updated until the fish dies or the story reaches a happy ending (success).

~Travis

Semilla

AC Members
Jun 2, 2012
Madison, WI
Real Name
Semilla
Good luck!
Btw, my daughter once brought a betta home from a party, and I was as annoyed as you seem. Now, he's a pretty cool fish, and one of three bettas. They aren't SO bad.

Sent from my SCH-R930 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I know, he looks like an awesome fish, except... I have community fish, he can't really go in with them, can he? I'm mostly worried about the battle for control of the surface of the water with the two Golden Dream killis who look like yellow betta :/

Semilla

AC Members
Jun 2, 2012
Madison, WI
Real Name
Semilla
I have never tried bettas I'm a community tank, and I likely never will. For every success there are ten horror stories. I keep mine separate, and I don't feel like its that much extra work maintenance wise. I have found that they have the most 'personality' of any small fish I've kept, but they do have some limitations.

Sent from my SCH-R930 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
He might work in the mix tank, depends more on the other fish. Do they nip? If not, you can put him in there and see how it goes.

But if it's your sister's fish, she might end up feeding your tank to feed her fish and f things up. So..

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Heres a question... how bad is it if the fish is just sitting in one corner breathing air? And looking... erm, well dead :/

aquaponicpaw

AC Members
Dec 12, 2011
I love my Betta. most of us aquire Bettas by default, Or we go to the store, feel sorry for them and buy one. My betta has resided in every single Tank (5) within My House. Nowadays I notice that when I go near his tank he Dances at the front glass. I once thought that this was his signal for me to feed him. But when I try, he doesn't eat...

Last edited:

Fractalis

Heavy Weapons Guy
Mar 3, 2011
unless you can do miracles the outcome doesnt look good

I hate to see any animal not treated right
especially ones that have no control over the situation
cats or dogs can run away.............fish are under your complete control

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Question, can betta live solely by breathing via air?

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Well, day 3 or 4 of the betta living in the pre-posted conditions. Somehow, it actually doesn't *look* sick yet. Still gonna do a water change today, and still gonna move it to a larger tank, but so far so good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store